Can Politics Be Civil?

You lost me with the very title of that video - “How masks might slow the spread of COVID-19”…

Oh that was just step one, we now have scientific studies that prove they do. And again that was the hesitancy in part to recommend them early on in the pandemic (two fold supply and demand being one). They very well could have done nothing, once it was established that its more probable than not they do something they made the recommendation and now we have definitive proof that they when properly worn they reduce the particles carrying viral load transmitted by 60-90%. That video just shows visual proof that molecule spread is different in masks then without masks.

1 Like

and even improperly worn or loose fitting masks can reduce it by 25-30%

1 Like

I don’t leave my property anyway. Those who come to my shop can wear a mask or not - some do some don’t. I’m not going to wear one though, unless I am grinding, sharpening, or wire wheeling…

Yeah, I mean science proves too that limited contact encounters make them pretty pointless unless you have awful luck. It’s more for prolonged encounters or clustered areas where its super important

Make sure the scientific study you’re putting all your faith in is from a reputable source.

Everything has changed and contradicted itself so much. It’s crazy. The news isn’t trustworthy. So what can we do?

Me? I watch my drunk neighbor. He only gets a bath and change of clothes once a week. I doubt he washes his hands. He stumbles into stores several times a day to buy booze. No mask. No social distancing. No idea if “alcoholism” is an underlying condition. But he’s alive and as well as he can be considering. He’s my hamster.

2 Likes

Haha thats funny I never saw that, but yeah this is a study published in the past week showing actual particles and the viral spread grown through masks and without masks on active patients tested in various ways. It’s as close to definitive as you can get, and I was way more nervous about corona than I should have been up until that point because we didn’t have much information and its been made out to be the boogeyman which i think was consequential and leading to this disarray and divide.

The thing is even tiny improvements, say 10-15% in the spread of masks, which should make sense on a basic level for people to accept that are apprehensive to wear them …that large spit in coughing may carry more viral load and large spit could be reduced in what molecules go out into the air in even awful cheap masks by 10-15%. Most people would say 10-15% isn’t worth the hassle, but when you combine all the exponents of people wearing them this can reduce the spread greatly, especially when you stack it with social distancing.

The main idea is even tiny tweaks can have a ripple effect, its the butterfly effect in real life, maybe you stop the guy that spreads it to 82 people and keeps the virus going. Now masks have been shown when properly worn and 3-layers to reduce particle disbursement by 60-90% it’s a wide spread, but when you take something that needs a decent amount of virus to get you infected and is pretty difficult to get that’s like betting the same number in roulette twice in a row and hitting when everyone is wearing them.

Again the scary part (unless you have a bad case or know someone that does and obviously it sucks for those that do) isn’t the present moment. It’s the exponential spread should this linger for years. Expect the best, plan for the worst is a fine strategy but the worst is a flu-like virus with a high hospitalization rate. Imagine how ever many years ago the population could just have eliminated the flu with masks and social distancing prior to all these mutations, that’d be pretty sweet.

1 Like

I feel like the argument against masks not being 100% effective is the same as when people claim new gun control measures aren’t worth it because they won’t prevent ALL crime. It’s like “If it’s not 100% effective it ain’t worth doing!”

My opinion is if wearing a mask or making the purchase of a gun slightly less convenient can save even 1 life, it’s worth doing.

2 Likes

Nah.

1 Like

I lost the scarf I got from grandma so I’m out.

2 Likes

The scarf I got for my spouse is now used as a cat bed.

2 Likes

That’s probably your wife providing your cat the tools to murder you. Better count the knives.

3 Likes

Maybe She loves the cat more than herself.

2 Likes

Definitely more than she loves scarves.

2 Likes

Move somewhere cold. That’ll help.

1 Like

Holy smokes, I put the Woot App down for 24 hours and it went from tacos to pizza to fences and masks.

I finally switched to wearing a mask outside of the house with sunglasses and earbuds.
Now I don’t have to smile to anyone, let them know I am looking at their direction, all while pretending I can’t hear them. So far nobody has bothered me all while peacefully carrying my concealed weapon. I can even let out a fart and only the unmasked are affected. Happy days.

I might even go out full burka if woot ever sells them.

1 Like