Derby #330: Classic Literature

Is Twilight considered classic literature…?

I was going to predict a bunch of LOTR entries, but it’s not on the list (yeah!). Glad we’ll see something else as classic literature.

Someone please do The Call of the Wild. Thanks!

Wish Radscoolian could submit this one again: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/53790/london-and-his-dogs?utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10956019&utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+6340762&utm_medium=affiliate+-+home.woot

How does one reference The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes without referencing BBC’s Sherlock?

Missed opportunity… woot should have mandated the Kama Sutra plus one other reference of our choice from the list.

I’m excited for this one. :slight_smile:

Now a serious question. Does the “No modern pop culture references” rule includes things like zombies, ninjas, police booths, etc?

I think they mean like TV shows and such…sooo yeah police booths would prolly be a bad idea

Travis posts this in the emoji thread, so at least poice boxes are out…

Ooh, I might take you up on that. :slight_smile:

I’m not an English lit major so I don’t recognize all of the titles on this list. I’m curious to see what the artists can do with some of these:
28 The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman [on a yellow shirt no doubt]
38 Democracy and Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Education by John Dewey [do your homework]
43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi [who/what??]
46 Nautical Charts by G. R. Putnam [see the sea]
50 The Postal System of the United States and the New York General Post Office by Thomas C. Jefferies [stamp it out]
77 A Concise Dictionary of Middle English by A. L. Mayhew and Walter W. Skeat [a Þ in my side]

And
96 The Romance of Lust by Anonymous [pixelated for PG-13 rule]

Oh man, I can’t wait to do something with Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus!

That one has zombies in it, right?

I’m sure you’ve heard of 43 Sunzi bing fa. English by active 6th century B.C. Sunzi by it’s normal name: Art of War.

This list is a bit limiting, isn’t it? A million entries for Mark Twain, but no Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Orwell, Faulkner…

Are we strictly limited to the Gutenberg list?

The Gutenberg list is public domain, the authors you listed are generally still copyrighted. I guessing that’s why they said use the list.

Yep, I think the main reason for this is because they’re all, fo’ sho’, in the public domain (and the most “well known” of the bunch).

The same way 30 bazillion people did before that show came out.

Ahh yeah, didn’t even think about that. Just seemed weird that they mentioned Hemingway in the prompt, but that he isn’t actually allowed.

Not to mention, copyrighted stuff gets referenced here pretty much every week–if it’s done cleverly (i.e. “The Binge” & “Baking Bread” in the top 20) it falls under fair use.

But yeah, I get why they used the Gutenberg list. Thanks for responding agingdragq!

Thank you for the translation; I have heard of Art of War.