Derby Preview #723: Visual Idioms

id·i·om

/ˈidēəm/

noun
plural noun: idioms

1. a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs , see the light ).
    synonyms: expression, idiomatic expression, turn of phrase, set phrase, fixed expression, phrase;
    formal locution
    ““Far out,” she replied, using a rather dated idiom”

2. a characteristic mode of expression in music or art.
    “they were both working in a neo-impressionist idiom”

This week we’re exploring turning those nonsensical colloquialisms into visuals! The point of this theme is to illustrate idioms so keep text to a minimum. Also even though text is allowed, it must be hand drawn!

This Derby begins THURSDAY August 29th & ends THURSDAY September 5th at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing!

1 Like

Here are some examples:

FAV!

2 Likes

@Lady5tark
That no text rule deflates my great ideas every time.

It’s not NO text, just little text!

So, you know, make sure the text is small… LOL

3 Likes

Eensy, weensy, teeny tiny!

“if you can read this we had better be related”

1 Like

What Woot used to call ‘incidental text’. A design that works even if you take the text away.

2 Likes

I’m confused. The original post just says “hand drawn” NOT little. If I have a character saying something will it be rejected??? The text part is no more than 1/8 of the total design.

Edit: the text makes the design make sense so I can’t just throw it out.

The little comment is a joke. But the post does say keep text to a minimum.

Hi All, you may have noticed we did not post the derby for Facebook votes this week. Keep an eye on the Shirt.Woot Facebook page Thursday around noon CST for an extra :zap:lightening round​:zap: in the Visual Idioms derby!!

:sweat_smile::crazy_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::cold_sweat::open_mouth:

Hmmmmmmmm…:woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3: