Derby Preview #745: This Versus That!

This weeks theme is dueling pop-culture franchises. The artwork should be in the style of a sports event shirt, advertising the two competing teams and must include the event name/title. For example, “The Mando Showdown”, or “The Future Bowl”. You can’t use those 2. The teams or competitors are IMAGINED and from your favorite pop culture franchises. They can be from the same franchise or different universes - that’s up to you, but they must be pop culture references.

No politics, no real team names or teams that exist in movies. No cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY January 20th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY January 27th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday - Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

Is pop culture required? Just asking for clarification because although that seems to be what the rules state, it would be a lot of fun if non-pop culture topics like coffee vs tea, cats vs dogs, and early birds vs night owls were also in the mix :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great question. I’d like to know the ruling for that too.

Pop culture is required.

4 Likes

So, get a little more creative. Use a pop culture dog vs a pop culture cat, or Captain Picard’s earl grey vs Sneaky Pete’s Coffee. I think you can still do your intent, you’ll just need to add a little extra pizzaz.

1 Like

Are drugs cool? I mean of course they are cool (JK kids), but are subtle references to drugs okay? I see no nudity, cussin’ etc, but can’t find rules for the derby about no drug references

1 Like

Drugs = not cool. Legalized things that you might smoke = ok, but we don’t go heavy on it.

1 Like

Some more things we’ve run…to give you an idea of where our line is… dig around the catalog using different search terms, sort by bestselling and you’ll get a feel for what works.

Gotcha, thanks. What I am thinking is way more abstract and less in-your-face than any of that so will take a shot at it. Thanks!

1 Like

Can it be in the style of a fighting game? Like a select your fighter screen.

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Hey, so sorry to ask a stupid question, but I’m new to this— what time does the derby end? The info under the event banner says Monday at eight pm, but the guidelines say Thursday at noon… and it hasn’t been taken down, so I’m assuming Monday at eight??? (Also, I really like the themes you guys are choosing (this is sincere, but if you want to take it as shameless flattery, feel free). XD

1 Like

The guidelines are old text. It’s Monday, 8pm Central Time.

1 Like

@krittikae Thx! Sorry for being a little slow…