Derby Preview #790: Slogans!

Slogans. 2020 lookback, or looking forward to 2021. You know what to do.

No pop culture.
No politics.
No cream shirts.
No cat butts - someone didn’t like the amount we had in the last derby. Me. I didn’t like the number of cat butts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY November 30th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY December 7th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

No pop culture?

2 Likes

So… no Star Trek red shirt? - nervously twists hands - I don’t know what to do with myself…

2 Likes

I am unclear on where the no pop culture line will be drawn. Are pop art style designs out for the derby?

1 Like

ughhh…why do you make my life so complicated???

2 Likes

Not sure how to do a slogan with no pop culture. Isn’t a slogan, by definition, pop culture?

3 Likes

Yeah…this one is difficult…

You started the making life difficult battle by outlawing pop culture…

1 Like

When Woot says “pop culture” I usually interpret that as “popular media.” If you’re referencing/quoting tv/movies/books or using a character from them, you are in rejection danger. But most other things are still available.

Did I misunderstand the theme, or the slogans had to be 2020/2021 related exclusively?

1 Like

No not exclusively, it was a starting point idea.

2 Likes

Ah… completely misunderstood. Thank you for the clarification!

1 Like

I wasn’t exactly specific…

1 Like

Was curious about the rejection I got for “no pop culture” on my entry here: Shirt.Woot

Did I inadvertently reference something pop culture?

Oops. I just submitted my first shirt idea, and I should have submitted it for the Derby. May I also submit it for the Derby? I don’t see a way to check in on my other submission.

Thanks,
Michael

Is this not a reference to the Narnia books? (I did not tattle, but it seemed like an obvious pop-culture reference)

1 Like

I didn’t figure Narnia books would still qualify as pop culture. But you’re probably right.

Not sure how The Elf on the Shelf manages to not get rejected as such though. Much more pop-culture than Narnia these days…in my opinion anyway. I mean, it’s from a book…and a current toy/decoration.

1 Like

I figure about half of the designs in the derby (mine included) could be rejected depending on the definition of pop culture.