Condition: Salty
Products:
1 Alaea Hawaiian Sea salt with grinder - 3.35oz
1 Sel Gris French Sea Salt with grinder - 3.35oz
1 Sonoma gourmet sea salt with grinder - 3.35oz
1 Northwest Alderwood smoked salt with grinder - 3.35oz

Product website
$29.99 direct from their site

I have a hard time putting self-contained grinder salt/spices into my own grinder at home… is there a better way to remove contents to another grinder without taking the hammer to it?..

Hate to do it, but Costco has a higher brand 6 pack (3 salt, 3 pepper) for $20 shipping included.

You’d need a membership, of course (sort of).

Anybody have recipes for that smoked sea salt?

Is this iodized in any way/shape/form?

I actually have an iodine intolerance and I can’t handle a lot of iodine. I can’t eat a lot of salty foods, despite LOVING them because I end up with a severely itchy nose.

If this isn’t iodized I might have to get some it for cooking.

I just have no clue how to tell.

Can someone explain to me what the point of salt grinders is? I understand why we grind pepper, since the taste of pepper is carried in volatile oils which dissipate over time so the pepperiest taste comes from freshly ground pepper. But salt doesn’t release anything when you grind it, it just gets smaller. I can see the point of an adjustable grinder, so you can get larger or smaller pieces of salt, depending on what you want, but I’ve seen a lot of non-adjustable salt grinders, which just struck me as a ridiculous gimmick. Do these have an adjustable grind?

Not sure why you’re saying “Olde Thomson” is a “higher brand.” I don’t know enough about the current Woot offering to defend it against that claim, but this product seems to be a gourmet (or semi-gourmet, whatever that means) offering in grinder packs, whereas the Costco offering is something totally different, large quantities of supermarket-grade seasonings (not that there’s anything wrong with that – just not comparable, that’s all.)

That said, for today’s Woot, I would like to know where these are packed, and also what the origin of the ingredients is.

Wondering if these can be used as fancy preservatives for gourmet foods (curing $50 bacon or whatever)?

Sea Salt isn’t iodized, unless they specifically add it. Most likely this is not.

I really want a set of these. It’s like an all-star lineup of salt! Saltapalooza even.

Are the colors of the salts (besides the smoked) natural? And by natural, I really mean that I want to know if they are naturally occurring or added naturally.

Is the French Sel Gris another way of saying Fleur de Sel? What is the difference, if any?

As far as I know, iodinized salt only occurs when the producer adds the chemical to the salt … please refer to Mayo Clinic

My mom has been keeping Sel Gris in the kitchen for years. There has got to be something to it. But what makes it gray?

The description says:

Dare I ask what optimum storage conditions are for salt? Thanks.

Low Moisture? haha.

Low humidity most likely/importantly.

Great question…

this is what I have found regarding aGuide to Sea Salt & Gourmet Salt

I hate to get all technical, but no table salt is iodized “unless they specifically add it.” The term “iodized” means that potassium iodate/iodide or sodium iodate/iodide has been added to the salt during processing.

Smoke flavor is kind of funky unless it comes from an actual smoker or bbq. Smoked cheese is usually a big no-no on my palate.

I’ll lambaste a steak with sea salt and pepper any day of the week, on the other hand.