HP 705 G2 Mini AMD A8 512GB

HP 705 G2 Mini AMD A8 512GB

1 Like

Been a while since I’ve been in the WIndows PC game, but no HDMI out? Is DisplayPort the new HDMI (requiring new cables)?

1 Like

HDMI was primarily designed for consumer electronics and topped out at 1080p in earlier years. DisplayPort is an open VESA standard, designed around computer use, and supported more advanced features like 4K/60 and adaptive refresh well before HDMI was updated to support them.

With that said, the modest 15w processor and integrated graphics in this unit isn’t going to push the limits on any of this.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

3 Likes

It’s generally a bit of a toss-up between displayport and HDMI as to what you’re going to get. You can get a fairly inexpensive adapter to convert to HDMI. HDMI vs. DisplayPort: Which Should I Use for My PC Monitor? | PCMag

1 Like

Even at this low price, this machine is barely worth it with these specs. It would be fine as a mini server or network appliance if you add a USB NIC, but otherwise it’s EOL and has no upgrade path to Windows 11 or a faster processor.

2 Likes

Yes this machine is getting a bit long in the tooth, but if you are going to be using it for surfing the net and basic tasks, this will work just fine. My wife is using this same configuration for some light graphics and Photoshop work and it performs well. Windows 10 will be supported for a bit longer than 2 years. So, if you can get 2 years out of this unit, it will cost less than 20 cents per day. Not everyone needs, or can afford, the latest/greatest in technology.

1 Like

More if folks ignore that it’s “unsupported” and load W11 anyways. There are ways to do so.

Or just run Linux. I like Mint for its user friendliness.

I do run MX Linux on a few machines too, with far worse specs than this.

1 Like

I’m a Void Linux man myself, and yeah the machine I’m typing this on (HP Stream 11 netbook) has worse specs than the computer here, but I also got it for $50 and Void with i3 makes it perfectly usable as a couch laptop. It would be torture to use Windows 10 that came on it originally. Likewise, the HP 705 G2 would be much better running Linux, or even Chrome OS Flex if you don’t mind selling your digital soul to Google.

2 Likes

Processor is almost 8 years old.

reasonable price for $139