HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini PC

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini PC

4 Likes

Be wary of the video port specs here - I bought one of these when they were on sale a few weeks ago and it had two DisplayPort and one VGA connector, not the DisplayPort / HDMI/ VGA connectors the specs mention. That aside, it was a very nice refurb and worked perfectly once I ran out and bought a DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

4 Likes

@robin731 how have you been using it? I haven’t kept up with technology much (air book from 2012 is my laptop). Does this serve the needs to fast web browsing and minimal home use of Office, etc.?

Thanks.

2 Likes

For such usage, it’ll be more than sufficient. Since you’re still using a 2012 MB, longevity is probably a key consideration for you.

Hardware wise, these hold up; also both the memory and storage is readily upgradable. Even the CPU is socketed, though getting to it is a bit more involved.

Software wise, know that Windows 10 support ends in October 2025 and the processor is not officially supported by Windows 11. Workarounds do exist, and there’s always Linux, but you’ll be on your own for that.

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

9 Likes

Anyone know details on what type of SSD is in this? Specs dont say.

2 Likes
4 Likes

From the videos above, it looks like it will come with a 2.5" SATA SSD, hopefully 3D NAND

If NVMe, it’s likely a small kioxia

Looks like there are 2 m.2 slots under the area the 2.5" Sata SSD would sit. The top m.2 slot looks like it’s for a network card, while the bottom is for storage.

5 Likes

There’s a pretty good breakdown of the system, and upgrade suggestions.

I’ve got ram just sitting that could upgrade this, and nvme drives as well. I might pick one of these up. I have 3 other, older, HP minis and like them, but would appreciate the ability to add more than 16gb of ram up and the faster processor.

Hmmm

5 Likes

Though I don’t have one of these computers, I’ve found that Linux was a great option on other minicomputers, Asus Vivominis I bought from Woot years ago. Originally with Windows 8.x, installing Linux was pretty simple (though to be fair I’ve worked in IT for 20+ years, so my idea of simple is probably different from what others may think).

I’ve used the Linux-based minis for everything from media players, handling video file playback as well as all major streaming services, to work computers, using Cisco VPN and Remmina to access a virtual machine via remote desktop.

7 Likes

If the machine has TPM 1.2. I think these do because I have some G1s at home and they do. There is an easy way to run a Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade.

I am referring to option 1. Thus far, all the machines I have that has Win 11 upgraded from Win 10 are functioning correctly without issues.

Would recommend you back up the Win 10 installation 1st before editing the registry. You also need a Win 11 installation media (USB) as well.

You also need to have UEFI BIOS and secure boot enabled as well.

3 Likes

You can easily buy an DP to HDMI adapter for cheap. This is an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394466758530

(Not endorsing or recommending this particular product. Just a random search from eBay.)

{VMod edit: cleaned up the URL.}

2 Likes

Does anybody have any idea how loud the fans are? … Is it quiet?

2 Likes

It’ll get louder only when running at full bore. Day-to-day they are very quiet. The processor’s TDP is 35w, which is nearly half that of the standard desktop CPUs.

3 Likes

This would make a great Ubuntu (linux) desktop.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info.

2 Likes

Email confirmation says estimated delivery March 28th?? Why does it take almost 3 weeks for delivery!

2 Likes

That’s worst case. Usually arrive before that.

2 Likes

You got me on this scam woot. I ordered 3 to hook up to my TVs. No HDMI on any of them. Someone corrected that at some point I see. One shows a light on the power button, but no video output via display port or VGA. Second didn’t recognize the HD. I opened it up to reseat the HD and found a old GUDGA SSD from alibaba. I plugged it in and it booted to bios. I was able to point it to the HD and install windows after that. I’m still going through updates on it and won’t have time to get to the 3rd tonight. I didn’t expect perfection, but I thought they’d at least work when they came out of the box. No way these were tested to be working. Hopefully #3 will be better when I get to it.

EDIT: 1 of 3 is functional and only after I plugged in the HD.

1 Like

Please let Customer Service know about this. They track quality issues.

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please contact Woot! Customer Service. To speed things up, let them know if you prefer a return/refund or a replacement (if possible).

Please allow 24-48 hours for them to respond.

Browser: Use the Woot! Customer Service form.

Woot! App: Choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Self-Return: Items without Li-Ion batteries can be self-returned within 30 days. Go to your Order Details to get started. The return label will be emailed from UPS.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

Mine just showed up. It looked a little dustier and more battered than the one I bought a few weeks ago the last time they were on sale, but basically OK, except that it rattled when I was unpacking it. So I opened it up and a small metal screw fell out! I don’t know if it’s supposed to be holding something in - it’s too densely packed in there for me to see for sure if any screws are missing - but the computer seems to work fine without it. But I’m horrified to think what could have happened if I’d powered the thing up with a metal screw bouncing around inside it. I’m starting to have some doubts about the people who refurbished these things…

2 Likes