HP ENVY TE01-3087c Desktop (i7 512GB)

HP ENVY TE01-3087c Desktop (i7 512GB)

With no graphic card, it would be nice if this was a little cheaper.

5 Likes

Yeah, this system doesn’t make much sense to me. The processor is way op for the memory and video supplied. Wouldn’t touch less than 16gb memory for win 11, and highly recommend twice that. Also, the 310 watt ps isn’t going to support much of a gpu upgrade.

3 Likes

300W PSU on a 12700 cpu, that should be illegal. You literally can’t put a GPU in that and makes me wonder what POS motherboard they have in there.

4 Likes

You can probably upgrade the PSU but knowing HP it’s highly proprietary (both in its physical dimensions but also the motherboard connectors.)

I need a new computer so bad. My last one took a nose dive during an auto accident. That wasn’t my fault… So I’m supposed to start introduction to computer science this fall and have to come up with a serviceable laptop.

1 Like

Here’s the one I bought after I took my introduction to computer science junior college class. I think it was only about $2000 or so.

It had a proprietary riser card that was a pain.

The Packard Hell 486 tada

Correct. If folks are looking for a computer to upgrade to a gaming rig, this will not be a good option IMHO.

From personal experience, a lot of HP computers have been 12VO AND proprietary form factor since the Core 2 Duo days. Dell on the business side has been 12VO since 4th gen; other parts have been proprietary before then. Lenovo, I’m less certain; only have one machine at work and it’s a mini where proprietary is expected.

Business class laptops tend to be better built, but they will cost more. What’s your budget?

((Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

3 Likes

I think what makes HP and Dell worse these days is the proprietary motherboard, case and even the PSU connectors on the motherboard. It’s all built to be thrown away and replaced by companies who claim to be “green.”

1 Like

That’s just it; they’ve been that way for years already. Since 6th gen, many Dell cases and motherboards are proprietary in form factor, complete with the front I/O ports soldered on. HP has been using a 6+6 pin 12VO since C2D; the CPU cooler was an odd rectangular mounting pattern.

At least the CPU, RAM, and storage drive(s) are still standardized components on their desktops. Can’t even say that for some brands.

3 Likes

I used to work on computers for a few years. It was both interesting AND frustrating to work on Dells and HP systems because of that. Even the cooling for the old P4’s was proprietary, a shroud over the heat sink with a fan in the back to draw out the air.

2 Likes

That sounds like the BTX era designs:

Dell at least followed the form factor standard and used standard 24 pin PSUs; HP Prodesk and Elitedesk series were a proprietary design in the same likes but not BTX at all.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, I remember working on those. Usually Gateway towers. Looked good on the outside, though.

2 Likes