Introducing Woot+ : a shiny new web app to browse and search Woot!

Fellow Wooters,

The call has been answered! For far too long we have gone without a means of searching the ever-changing catalog of products for sale on Woot. Woot+ delivers real-time search and simplified categories so you can spend less time clicking and more time spending! :money_with_wings:

Visit wootplus.com on any phone, tablet, or computer and shop ‘til you drop!

Disclaimer

Woot+ is an independent work that is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Woot and/or Amazon. The information presented on Woot+ is provided directly by Woot via their Developer Portal, and while every effort has been made to ensure it is in sync with what’s for sale on woot.com there is always the possibility that discrepancies exist. Always use the links to Woot! to verify prices, product descriptions, and availability.

All product information and associated images appearing on Woot+ are the property of Woot.

The Gist

Woot+ is a progressive web app that allows you to swiftly search, filter, and sort through the current catalog of products for sale on woot.com. Primary features include:

• Real-time search by product title
  • Fast filtration by department, category, and price
  • Sensible sorting options
  • Responsive, mobile-friendly design

As you are browsing around, add products to your wishlist for later review. When you find something you want to buy, use the “Buy for $…” or “View on woot.com” button to be taken to the official Woot product page where you can then add it to your cart.

Preview

Before wandering off to some unknown site, it’s nice to have some idea of what to expect when you get there. The following screencasts illustrate a few of the more notable features of Woot+.

Real-time Search

Search by Product Title

Browse by Department / Category

Shop

Installing the application (iOS)

Add to Homescreen (iOS)

How It Works

When you first visit the Shop page, a compact representation of the Woot product catalog is downloaded and stored in a local database. (Compressed, this data weighs in at around 350KB to 400KB.) For the next ten minutes, any subsequent visits to the Shop page will use this locally stored data. After ten or more minutes have passed, your next visit to the Shop page will download a fresh copy of the catalog.

As you search, sort, or filter by category, price, etc. the address bar is updated to reflect your choices, which in turn triggers a new query to the local database. The near-instantaneous response may be attributed to the fact that there is a relatively small number of products for sale at a given time – usually somewhere between 2,500 and 4,000.

The search feature is as simplistic as it could possibly be, comparing a single search term to the characters in each product’s title. If that exact search exists within the title, the product is shown.

The wishlist is a simply a user-managed set of product IDs which the catalog may then be filtered upon using the “On Wishlist” checkbox.

Note that Woot+ chooses not to show products that are already sold out. If it appears on Woot+, it’s still up for grabs!

Director’s Cut

Woot+ delivers an exceptional user experience by focusing its attention on performance and simplicity. The less time people are made to spend jumping from page to page to see what’s for sale, the more likely they are to come across a bargain that’s too sweet to pass up.

I am a long-time fan of Woot, and to this day it’s normally the first place I look when I’m in need of something new. Not always, but often I’ll stumble upon the thing that I’m after and pick it up at a bargain price. In December 2022, while in the United States visiting friends, I was in search of a lightly used iPhone 11 so naturally I looked on Woot. To my surprise I discovered that woot.com doesn’t have a search feature! It boggles the mind considering that Woot is an Amazon property and presumably has an army of tech-savvy folks at their disposal. I can’t help wondering if it’s somehow by design; maybe they actually INTEND for people to leaf through the bargain bin and impulse-buy a bunch of junk they didn’t realize they needed. :person_shrugging:‍

As with most every independent software project, Woot+ was born out of one developer’s irresistible desire to improve upon an existing system that in their opinion was unacceptably lacking. It also seemed a great opportunity to explore some new technologies and bolster my portfolio. What began as a hobby project has since evolved into an application I consider worthy of release to the wider internet community. Please enjoy!

P.S.

The best possible way for you to support this project is to spread the word. The more it is used and the more feedback (good or bad) it receives, the better it will become. If you are a fan of Woot+, please let me know! I’d love to hear any and all suggestions on how to make the app even more stellar.

23 Likes

13 Likes

@anakmetal Whoa! Nice.
Woot owes you some very special Swag for all of your effort. Peeps are going to be SO happy!

A million thanks! :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

12 Likes

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

10 Likes

Huh. It has been out there and I found it my mistake. It is grand!

8 Likes

Quite right! It’s been live for several months, though not so complete nor refined. I felt it necessary to put together the “About” and “Contact” pages before making any announcements.

Thank you for the compliment! I wonder: how did you happen across it? Google search?

13 Likes

Cheers, and thank you for the feedback! :beers:

I must admit, I’m proud of the way it all came together. Some pretty cool tech was used in the making, and I believe it adequately solves the missing search issue. Although it is a “dumb” search, that’s precisely what allows it to be so blazingly fast.

Before anyone can be happy about the app, first they need to know about it! Hopefully news of it spreads across the forum, or even onto social media. :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

Probably. I was mystified and tried it on my laptop. It always shot me back to Woot! so winner!

9 Likes

Kinda cool, right?! Woot+ is built using what’s referred to as “responsive design”, meaning that its layout & typography varies according to screen size. Laptops and PCs have far more screen real estate to work with, so the category choices and price filters can be present at all times vs. stashed in a drawer.

10 Likes

Check out Woot Plus with SEARCH !!!

10 Likes

Very impressive!!! Going to bookmark to use with my next coupon (with expiration) when shopping just because!

8 Likes

Wow! I really appreciate the positive feedback, thank you!

It’s fulfilling to hear that something built by my own two hands is proving to be of value to the wider community. :pray:

9 Likes

We have been begging for a search!

Thank you, thank you!

9 Likes

@WooWooWoo911, many thanks for the shoutouts here and elsewhere! :mega: It’s an honor to receive such genuine support. :pray:

7 Likes

UPDATES (May 29, 2023)

• Product detail view now includes a link to its respective forum page (if such a page exists)
  • Added a few new sections to the Woot+ homepage
8 Likes

mememe_cf6d81a436230b1685c5ae4f9b7d3418-1-2938877535

9 Likes

Updates: June 2, 2023

The wishlist feature has been greatly improved.

• Products added to your wishlist now appear big and bold on the Wishlist page.
  • They are presented in the order they were added
  • A “Clear Wishlist” button allows you to empty your wishlist all at once
8 Likes

How did I miss this!?

7 Likes

It just went live (officially) a short time ago and word is just now starting to get out. For the moment you’d pretty much need to stumble upon it, which it seems you did! :smiley:

Moving forward, I’ll continue to refine the app based on feedback received from the community. Would love to hear your thoughts!

6 Likes

I’ll tell you… my thoughts are that Woot needs to get rid of the squirrels that currently run their site and hire you! I’m on a linux laptop and the site looks great. Professional, even.

The only negative that I can see is that, the way the pictures… bloom in to place… it takes a second for each row to fully blossom.

But… after dealing with Woot monkeys for so long :man_shrugging: who cares :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes