Kershaw Compound Folding Knife

I picked one of these up from Woot a couple of months ago and I really like it. The Speedsafe opening mechanism is darn fast and the blade is about as sharp as can be. For $10 its a really great pocket knife.

Bought this the last time it was on sale. No complaints at the price point.

The Speedsafe works as advertised. You push hard on the nub on the back, and it’ll flip open + lock instantly.

Steel is about what you’d expect for the price. It’ll hold it’s edge decently, but not forever. You can sharpen it, of course, and it’s quite sharp out of the box/sharpened.

Otherwise, I did prefer the clip on the 1930ST (sold last time with this knife, I bought one of each). The clip on this one is a bit narrow + stiff, which means that although it should hold up for a while, it can also be a bit difficult to clip to a jeans pocket (like I prefer to do) when you get it.

I wouldn’t say it’s worth $30, but it is worth the $10-15 Woot’s charging for sure.

I’ve bought two of these in the past, both times I’ve managed to break the handle.

The serrated blades makes these knives completely useless.

Well, unless you are a poser and trying to look dangerous, or you have less than 10 ropes that you want to cut.

These are great knives… they’re sturdy, made of decent steel, and have a very quick opening mechanism. However, the clip on this model is garbage. It’s way too small. It’s the size I would expect to see on a Swiss Army knife-- in fact, this clip is less “beefy” than a micro 1.5" Gerber I’ve had for almost 10 years. I purchased this 1940 at Big5 about 9 months ago, and the clip was loose and useless after less than a month. Even if it didn’t come loose (due to the poor design of just two screws), it’s super stiff, so it probably wouldn’t have held up with daily usage because it’s so thin. As of now, it’s clipless and in my toolbox.

I also purchased the Asset 1930ST and Tremor (edit: both from previous woot offerings), both of which come with full-size clips.

If you’re looking for an everyday carry, this isn’t it.

I agree the clip on the compound is absolute garbage, but the rest is terrific.

I bought the compound and the smallest one available when woot had the choice, and the small one had a much better clip.

They hold their edge pretty well and the lock mechanism is about as solid as a liner lock can be.

I carry the smaller one and keep the larger one in my laptop bag. I shave my head and if I miss a hair, both these knives are able to nick it off without an issue.

All of these comments are coming from an owner of Benchmades prior to the color system, and since including black, blue, and red series.

This this knife made in USA or elsewhere?

Look, it’s the Big K. There’s minimal suck age here at this price point. I prefer the CRKT Triumph, but there is something to be said for a pocketable knife that won’t send people screaming if you open it in public. As a previously certified CCW instructor, just take my word on that point. Okay?

Once again Woot demonstrates its ignorance of the law and discriminates against NY state residents!

NO LAW EXISTS PRECLUDING SALES / SHIPPING / POSESION OF THIS ITEM!

Woot has sold and shipped knives to nearly ALL the zip codes listed. These new restrictions are unfair, unfounded, and ignorant of the law.

New York IS LARGER THAN NYC!

[QUOTE=millerm277, post:3, topic:366439]
Bought this the last time it was on sale. No complaints at the price point.

The Speedsafe works as advertised. You push hard on the nub on the back, and it’ll flip open + lock instantly.

Steel is about what you’d expect for the price. It’ll hold it’s edge decently, but not forever. You can sharpen it, of course, and it’s quite sharp out of the box/sharpened.

Otherwise, I did prefer the clip on the 1930ST (sold last time with this knife, I bought one of each). The clip on this one is a bit narrow + stiff, which means that although it should hold up for a while, it can also be a bit difficult to clip to a jeans pocket (like I prefer to do) when you get it.

I wouldn’t say it’s worth $30, but it is worth the $10-15 Woot’s charging for sure.[/quote

Love how people complain about a 10$ knife. I would buy a dozen of these.

woot screwing its NY customers once again. I imagine you could’ve spent 5 seconds at Google to figure out you don’t need to alienate a good portion of your customer base (or simply read some of the comments from the last knife debacle), but that would make far too much sense.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL etc.

I have picked up the Drone, the Asset, and the Burst in a previous woot. These knives all seem solid and functional to me. I have to say the Burst is my favorite. This knife seems closer to the Asset, but with a more functional blade shape. The burst’s favored status might have something to do with the handle shape, or perhaps the fact that the assisted opening isn’t so strong that it tries to leap out of your hand when you open it… but for ten dollars, I’m sold on another of these Chinese Kershaw beater knives. I must admit that I have not attempted to use any of these as everyday carry knives, they are simply too large for me. The burst, instead, just follows me around the house and helps me open all my woot boxes quickly. These knives are made in China, and I read that this knife, with the partial serrations, is being discontinued. You know, just in case that matters or something.

i got a couple of these one with the serrated edge for my son in law. He is a tree cutter/arborist and he uses it a lot and likes it. I’ve used mine to cut boxes up into pieces and it kept a pretty good edge. One swipe on my ceramic “steel” and its as good as new. I don’t use the clip so no complaints I keep it in my pocket.

There’s something really satisfying about the opening mechanism on this thing. You end up with a mischievous smile every time.

I too got this during the last time it was on sport.woot. Functionally, I cut through some old, crusty electrical tape and zip ties like butter and cut some twine without much effort. The closing was a little sticky at first but after 40 or so open/closes I can easily shut it with one hand.

woot excludes by zip code for BB guns you think they could find some way to do that for knives… whatever.

Glad I saw this post; I was considering jumping in for two.

For my “message of hope”, I truly hope that you stop discriminating against us folk in New York State.

Regarding this Kershaw Compound Knife…

"Shipping Note: Eligible for shipping to all 50 states, with the exception of the following restriction

Shipping Restriction: Due to restrictions, we are unable to ship this product to certain Zip Codes. Please see list of Zip Codes here.”

OK…which is it, a change in the law or a change in your policy? If it was a change in the NYS law, I must have missed it.

On 5/14/2012, you shipped multiple copies of this exact same knife to a ZIP code that is now on your current “restricted list”.

WHAT GIVES???

Please, come on back and enlighten us.

Haha, I bought 3 the last time Woot had them. It’s been almost 2 months of me carrying, and using, this knife every single day. (clipped inside the pocket of whatever I’m wearing) The thing still looks and functions like the day I unboxed it.

It even took a very hard fall, blade open, from my kitchen counter. The blade tip smashed into the ceramic tile as the first point of impact. Not only did it not break, I’m convinced it didn’t even dull the point at all.

For the price, and even for a bit more than this price, this knife is hard to beat. I can’t help but wonder if all the people complaining are the same people who buy things because of the name (Gucci, Louis Vuitton, BMW, Mercedes) regardless of whether it’s actually a better product or not. I’d even venture to say they are probably sheep in Apple’s herd, too. :wink:

Always nice to hear from the new sports team, The New York Whiners!