Most influential R&B album?

Most influential R&B album?

Pleasant surprise, but it’s early yet. Have to visit later, see if anyone catches up to Marvin. Often a good evening if he’s in the play-list when I get home.

3 Likes

You can argue genre but give this is spin.

7 Likes

Stevie wonder wrote all the songs, played every instrument, and sang all the songs on his albums! That’s talent!

8 Likes

Influential? Marvin spoke on police brutality, climate change, and war. The voices of the doubters ring as loudly now as they did then. Janet’s words are accurately depicted in the whole Britney Spears fiasco. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

7 Likes
1 Like

We need more votes for Sly Stone!

2 Likes

In no way meant to disparage Marvin Gaye, but the poll wasn’t “best political activists R&B album” Marvin certainly belongs in the discussion, but I oftentimes look to music as a way of escaping politics - particularly R&B

With Prince passing in 2016, the mantle for the funkiest man alive returns to Sly Stone - and he and his music have been greatly under appreciated

For one album outside what was listed, please check out Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers “Any Other Way To Go”. Being partial to the sounds of Go-Go from the streets of Washington DC, few if any ever did it better.

4 Likes

I’m not a rock music historian, so this is just my personal observation of the topic.
Before Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On?, R&B was the domain of love songs and ballads for the most part - good stuff too, still to this day - and the labels made sure it stayed that way.
It’s my understanding that when Marvin came to his label with What’s Going On?, he was told that it would be a major flop, and that he should stick with the hits that had brought him - and the label - such commercial success. However, using his success as leverage, Marvin pushed to have the album released. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Marvin proved the doubters wrong and opened the door for many other R&B artists to speak to the commercial audience about the black experience for the first time and influenced the direction R&B would take from there.
Again, just my observations of the topic, and why that selection on the poll was my choice.

4 Likes

Bill Withers all day. Marvin Gaye off this list I think, but even it only has a few of his hits. Withers’ first album is amazing start. Just As I Am is one of the best albums I’ve ever heard with wild lesser known singles, a few huge hits, one of which is one of the best sad love type songs ever (Ain’t no Sunshine). Agreed genre is up for debate but there is as much soul in this as pretty much any R&B album.

3 Likes

You’re totally forgetting that I don’t like R&B

1 Like

Can’t have an R&B throwback without https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru1QUEanivg

Al Green - Let’s Stay Together (Album & song by the same name)

Was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remained on the chart for 16 weeks.

187,680,811 views / plays on YouTube

2 Likes

Ok, I am partial to Ray Charles (anything), The Temptations (anything)!

India.Arie anything!

India.Arie - Ready For Love (Official Music Video) - YouTube

I prefer my music to have meaning and smooth bass!

3 Likes

Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman

Another R&B / Soul classic. From the album, “Lady Soul” (1968). “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” has been covered by Carole King, Mary J. Blige, Celine Dion, and Rod Stewart among many others. An upbeat message in a song that has transcended its time.

2 Likes

@Wooter806370485 - Thanks for introducing India Arie and her modern take on R&B. What some reportedly call “neoSoul.” She has a rich, voice and range. Seems under appreciated in the US. Sold 3x more outside the US. Do not understand why. No publicists?

It could be her andante pacing. A bit too slow and might lose some listeners that way. I found it sounded better at 1.25 playback speed (1.2x perhaps ideal). Maybe compare and tell me what you think?

2 Likes

Bootsy!!!

1 Like

She explains it best herself.

3 Likes

Yessss, I like the vibe. I tried a few songs with the 1.25 speed and some were ok. I will now be trying the rest of her songs. Ready for love is at the right speed for me!
Thanks for the tip!

I have never been a fan of riding trends: reference J Cole K.O.D. 1985 Intro to “The Fall Off”

1 Like

A J. Cole mention on a Woot! forum?!?! :exploding_head: :w_light:

2 Likes