Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi USB Adapter

"USB 2.0 ports have a theoretical max speed of 480Mbps, but due to protocol overhead and hardware inefficiencies, you won’t ever hit that value. For best results, you should get a USB 3.0 dongle and plug it a USB 3.0 port, which has a theoretical max speed of 5Gbps (faster than any modern residential connection). "

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

Not sure what you’re asking or where that came from. :confused:

1 Like

This unit is apparently a USB 3.0 model as the information provided explains that faster speeds are available when it is used on a USB 3.0 port.

2 Likes

I have one of these at home for use with my RAX120 and I regularly get 230mb which is plenty for my machine. Unfortunately, that’s all I can attest to since I only pay for 200mb. Once in awhile, I have to pull it out of the cradle and reinsert it to reset it, but other than that, I have no complaints. I’m pretty sure I paid north of $70 for it last year.

3 Likes

Unless they’re talking about a USB C to USB 3.0 adapter, plugging a dongle into a USB 2.0 port won’t make it any faster since the dongle is still connecting via 2.0. It would be like putting an AMG emblem on a standard Mercedes-Benz. It’s still not an AMG under the hood.

If it’s a desktop, you could buy a USB 3.0 card. If it’s a laptop, you could buy a USB 3.0 ExpressCard if supported. Otherwise, you could buy a new laptop.

1 Like

Can I use this in my smart TV which has a usb port for beter/faster wireless reception from my upstairs modem? The usb port is labled for a TV camera.

1 Like

I’d check with your manufacturer. I’ve used mine to install mice, so it may be possible.

I’ve got the AC1200 interface (last time around, April 20th, at $20 each), THIS one does the USB 3 thing, too. Trying to see any big difference (other than the price and the manufacturer’s part number), and can’t.

1 Like

The AC1200 supports a theoretical 300Mbps on 2.4gHz and 867Mbps on 5gHz (300+867≈1200). The AC1900 supports a theoretical 600Mbps on 2.4gHz and 1300Mbps on 5gHz (600+1300=1900).

2 Likes

This won’t work on a smart TV. Unlike USB mouses and keyboards, which all use the same driver, this device needs a proprietary driver.

If your TV has an ethernet port, you could get a wifi-to-ethernet device like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0118SPFCK/

(I have no experience with that exact product, but that’s the type of thing that works work.)

2 Likes

I don’t have experience with that brand, but have a TP Link and Linksys bridge. Both work rather well for connecting non wireless devices to Wi-Fi. They only have a single ethernet port, so I plugged a network switch into each for multiple devices.

2 Likes