Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

[QUOTE=sugarqueen2k2, post:53, topic:131671]
Nope - not with the included antenna. You’d need a roof top antenna connection. Just use common sense when setting up rabbit ears - or ear in this case.
[/quote]

check out antennaweb.org the sec source for determining your antenna needs

[QUOTE=Mutiny34, post:26, topic:131671]
DO NOT BUY!

This item is a piece of junk and Pinnacle makes horrible software. I bought this item on woot when it was offered earlier and the software is so slow and laggy, even on a decent machine, that it makes the TV watching unbearable. I actually decided to use the antenna from this gadget as an actual TV antenna when I just got too frustrated with the item itself.

Pinnacle always makes bloated software that makes any system slow to a crawl. Dont waste your money on this.
[/quote]

This is Vista certified, you don’t even have to use the Pinnacle software, I prefer to use mine with Microsoft’s mediacenter.

[QUOTE=liammc, post:51, topic:131671]
Must this be used only on a laptop/notebook ?
[/quote]

If your wife had a USB port, it would work. What I am saying is anything with a USB port will work. So laptop or desktop. And I guess it works on a Mac as well. But don’t try your wife. She doesn’t have a USB port.

Ok so I plug this into my Vista rig and I can get all the antenna stations? Sounds pretty cool, I’m in for one.

I ve got a possibly 'Yes of course" question. I know it works with Vista, cause it says it should. I also see that it works with XP Media Center. However does it work with Vista Media Center?

it was sold here
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1765952

[QUOTE=liammc, post:51, topic:131671]
Must this be used only on a laptop/notebook ?
[/quote]

Ha ha. Good luck trying to get tagged “quality” on that one.

Nice price on the tuner, woot has suckered me for another $50!

[QUOTE=Brian202, post:59, topic:131671]
That’s good news for me, since I’m gonna be upgrading to vista ultimate hopefully tomorrow.
[/quote]

you sure you want to upgrade? why not wait some more - at least until Vista works.

I have seen their editing stuff on woot or another DOD site. As someone who uses it though, I can tell you it sucks. Very painful to use.

Don’t buy; it has NTSC and ATSC, but it lacks QAM & can’t be used to receive HDTV (or for that matter just digital TV) on a cable system.

Wow - great deal, i got one the last time and absolutely love it. Works great and watching HD on my laptop is amazing…

Man… now I really feel like an ass for paying $85 for this a while back.

Bottom line - ATSC tuner works as advertised; make sure your system has the horsepower to decode and display the stream. However, the NTSC tuner in this unit sucks. A very loud and noticeable high-frequency hiss is introduced into the audio. I very briefly used this stick as the second tuner in my Media Center PC. I had to ditch it and get a decent card because anything recorded through the stick’s NTSC tuner was unbearable to watch.

[QUOTE=ladakn, post:52, topic:131671]
okay guys

works with MEDIA CENTER on VISTA ULTIMATE 4 SURE

NO ORB SUPPORT THOUGH
[/quote]

Forget ORB…have you tried WebGuide4 yet? This works with MCE and I find the interface is more appealing. I can stream live or recorded content to my Moto Q.

So…is USB fast enough to support HD effectively? What if other I/O is happening on the bus? Does that affect it?

[QUOTE=sugarqueen2k2, post:68, topic:131671]
you sure you want to upgrade? why not wait some more - at least until Vista works.
[/quote]

Home premium 64 bit has worked very nicely for me so far, with some minor tweaks mind you.

Does not work on 64-Bit Operating Systems.

I bought one of these on sale at a retail store, It is only ok. You need a decently fast machine to run it on, and the software is buggy. Once you tune in a channel it works good enough, but trying to time shift or record is an adventure. The antennae works good near an unobstructed window location, other than that you need an outdoor antennae. For this price I would say it’s a decent buy, but I’m going to try a device from ATI/AMD when the time comes. Good Luck

[QUOTE=djmiggy, post:48, topic:131671]
can you connect an xbox 360 to this? does it have composite I mean?
[/quote]

I had my game cube plugged into it tonight honing my smash bros skills. You can have it plugged in but you will need the yellow red white cables, which I think all of the 360s ship with. For the audio though you will need a cable to change the rca audio inputs into a headphone sized input.

[QUOTE=gls2100, post:65, topic:131671]
I ve got a possibly 'Yes of course" question. I know it works with Vista, cause it says it should. I also see that it works with XP Media Center. However does it work with Vista Media Center?
[/quote]

Yes, i use it with Media Center as well…

This also works great with Snapstream Media BeyondTV 4. I have it hooked up with an ATI HD TV tuner on my desktop and works great, can record two shows at once.

I’m interested to see such opposing reviews… it’s great, it’s awful … how’s a gal supposed to know who to believe?

Could the difference in opinion on the way it runs and eats the laptop’s resources be dependent on a) what type of processor you have and b) how much RAM memory you have?

Surely these things would make a HUGE difference to the way the thing operates?