R. Merlo Estate Vineyards Syrah

Thanks for jumping in Ray!

Happy Mother’s day !

This a a great buy. I know I’m biased but trust me when I tell you I will put this syrah up against any syrah out there.

Ray

Welcome!
But please help me out a bit. When I hear the term fruit forward I think new world CA wines. To me fruit forward classic European style is an oxymoron.
Can you help me out here?

The Syrah is very much fruit forward. The European style comes with the definate earthy tones you will find in this wine. Our wine making style is European in that we bring out the true characteristics of the varietal, the year it was grown and the land in which we grow our fruit.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Ray

Ray,

Thank you for the reply. Here’s another question for ya - which winery in Europe (I’m assuming somewhere in the Rhone Valley) do you model this Syrah?

Also, what do you like to pair this wine with?

Oops! I forgot to ask as well - does this wine undergo any fining/filtration?

The mark for European Syrah is the N. Rhone, IMO (which I love!). But, “fruit forward” is not the way I would describe the vast majority of N. Rhone wines. They are rustic, bloody, mineral-y, and the fruit is present but is really a side kick to the “old world” profile. Saying a wine is a fruit forward, European-styled wine is kind of an oxymoron.

All of that said, new world Syrah absolutely has its place in my cellar. But it is a different animal than the N. Rhone. Not that new world producers can’t make an European-styled Syrah (Halćon), but they don’t claim to be fruit-driven.

I feel like I’m being so contrarian lately, but I just want true, honest wines (without VDDD, obviously) that are what they are and are proud to be it, even if it defies what may be popular to say at that moment. If this is a fruit-forward Syrah, then it isn’t “European”; and that’s perfectly fine.

thanks for the input… in for one:

SPEED TO FIRST WOOT:2m 14.253s
FIRST SUCKER:glindahl
LAST WOOTER TO WOOT:blaze1984

Screw it …, I’m taking a flyer just because it’s from someplace different & the winery is enthusiastically participating. In for 1!

In for one. It’s still cheaper than the swill that the grocery stores pass off as “high end”, and it’s a safe bet that it’s going to blow away anything I can get at Kroger for the same price.

Guaranteed.

Yep, it does. Is there any way we could work some of the 2004 into the same shipping?

hey now.

I agree. I’m in for one as well.

Man I wish I had room for this. I don’t have any syrah to try yet and it’s hard to pass this up. With the 4 bottles I got yesterday I just can’t get this too. I will likely be getting some once I have some room though. This sounds like a great wine.

Would really like to try the 2004 as well as I prefer a syrah to have some bottle age. I am in for 1 because this sounds interesting at a great deal. Have loved my time in the trinity alps too!

This will give me my black square!

Please let us know if there is a way to get some '04 into the same shipping.

I finally opened a bottle and I finished it last night and the description of the wine on the palate is spot on! It is food-friendly and it drinks the way I wanted Tallulah to drink (and I love the 07 Bald Mountain Ranch Syrah). This Syrah paired perfectly with BBQ Pork and Filipino Egg Rolls. The tannins provide grip and the acidity provides lift and I believe this wine will endure for several more years, but drinking deliciously right now. I’m so glad I got an order, but I wish I ordered more!