Rachio 2nd Generation Smart Sprinkler Controllers

I’m waiting to see an answer to your question. I am on DirectTV and their router is only 5g.

what are the model numbers for the 8 and 16 models??

Does this have the rain/soil sensors, or are those sold separately (or use anyone’s sensors)?

Is there a visible indicator of rain sensor tripped, and/or an override, or is all that available through the app (see if it’s disabled, force it to go even if)?

Is there a way to run a special cycle of all zones, outside of the regular schedule?

Sunrise doesn’t matter to me, but all watering must be complete by 8AM, can that be done? And I’m guessing even/odd should be simple… maybe with a setting whether the 31st is an “on” day.

I am concerned with the suggestion by one person that this controller may become unusable once the company is gone – is that true?

My current timer is located very far from the outlet, but there’s a Hunter cable running to it. I’m wondering if that cable would be compatible with this timer.

Model No: WT1-57-037R
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 35W
Output: 12VAC 1000mA(Yellow-Red)
12VAC 1000mA(White-Yellow)
CLASS 2 POWER UNIT

Pretty sure these are 2.4ghz only. Even if you could, I wouldn’t suggest putting Rachio on 5gz anyway. 5ghz has limited range and given that most irrigation controllers are in the Garage/Basement/Outside, you would be asking for trouble. On another note, if you only have 5ghz, might I suggest using a more a advanced AP for your network? Ubiquity makes some killer network gear.

Just get the 16zone, it’s only another $25. I have 6 zones, and bought the 16 zone to future proof myself. You can hide the extra zones in the UI. You’ll be kicking yourself later if you decided to add a zone and your controller is tapped out.

You can time the thing so it ends whenever you choose, I don’t know if it will run zones concurrently, my well pump won’t accommodate.
There is no indication on the unit of any kind of rain sensor status, all of that is available on the web/phone app.
you can cycle all zones with one button press, or you can created a one-time custom schedule to run whatever zones you like in addition to your pre-programmed times.

when is the ranchio 3rd gen coming out?

If you want soil sensors you should go with Spruce (spruceirrigation.com)

I have my Rachio controller setup to use a nearby weather station, so I no longer needed a separate rain/freeze sensor and have removed it. The weather station does a better job anyway.

@rachiosupport

Question: I bought one of these at the last woot. Haven’t installed because of the weather.

My electric outlet for my current controller is up on the ceiling (next to my garage door opener). I have an existing plug that is wired in to my current controller, but it is done without a plug like the Rachio uses. So, my question is: does Rachio have a really long power adapter that I can buy?

I have had a Rachio for about a year now and absolutely love it. It’s one of the best smart devices I have in my house. Super easy to install and set up. It syncs to the weather and won’t water during rain, you can set up different watering stations and groups with different times. It’s awesome. I don’t enough good things to say about it. It’s a must have.

I was trying to figure out why I didn’t have the power problem when replacing my old controller, like some people here are asking about. Then realized that I had to get the enclosure due to it having to be outside.

If you get the enclosure, the old wiring hooks into that, and then the Rachio plugs into a socket in the enclosure.

Otherwise, yes, you’ll need to interface to the power adapter plug somehow. Use a nearby socket, or get an extension cord or something.

if i have 6 zones can this work?

Will Rachio honor the 2-year limited warranty if I buy it from here (woot)?

We’re getting directly from them and their support has been in the thread answering questions. So, yes. :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s what I have. Get the 8 zone. You won’t set up the last two.

The Rachio controller is compatible with rain sensors (wired and wireless). See this support article for wiring instructions.

Also, it’s important to note that the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller will predictively skip waterings BEFORE it rains if you have our Rain Skip Weather Intelligence feature enabled. To date, Rachio users have saved over 22 billion gallons with this feature! Learn more about Weather Intelligence here.

Hope this helps, Happy Watering!

Sorry to hear our Seasonal Shift feature isn’t working well for you. It might be worth reaching out to Rachio Support to double check your zone settings. If they are not setup accurately, the watering schedules will not match your lawn’s needs. Additionally, you can disable any/all of the Weather Intelligence features from one or all of your watering schedules. Please see this support article for details.

Thanks for your support and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you need any help. Our support team is available 12 hours a day at 844-4-RACHIO (844-472-2446) or via email at support@rachio.com.

The Rachio Generation 2 Smart Sprinkler Controller requires a 2.4 or dual band network to connect to WiFi. Please see this support article for installation tips and tricks!

Happy Watering!