Rachio 8-Zone Sprinkler Controller

Rachio 8-Zone Sprinkler Controller

I have one of these and quite like it. It has cut down on my water bill and kept my yard looking good by taking advantage of rain when it can and watering with the sprinklers when it can’t. I would highly recommend.

2 Likes

Bought this from Woot a few months ago. Easy install, replacing my 25 year old controller. I’ve been very pleased with it’s flexibility and programming options although it’s “pause because of rain” feature is a bit hit or miss since it’s dependent on your local forecast. It does usually err on the side of watering when not needed though, which is better than the alternative.

Installed at my last house and now at this house. LOVE IT! I installed the previous one myself. Very easy.

2 Likes

Got the 1st gen (16 zone). Other then having the manual run button on the 2nd gen and up, it works great. I’ve learned it’s better to put it in STANDBY mode instead of just unplugging it. Makes it easier to fire it up in Spring. But after the initial setup for zones, soil, sun exposure, etc, then deciding if you want IT to figure out your watering needs, IMO, it’s one of the best IOT’s for your home. I did set up a separate WiFi connection (SSID) on my wifi (I can set up to 9) so I restricted it’s INTRANET access, bandwidth, etc and it’s been pretty solid for the past 2 years. It tells me what amount of water it’s “saved” me but I replaced a 15+ year old RainBird unit, plugged in the wires myself (good time to “adjust” what control head is controlling what zone LOL) and just clean stuff up. Only used 8 zones but I’m very pleased with how you can adjust it’s operation. The saving water part might be a little over rated. Even before I switched to this, I’ve had a couple of $400+ water bills. This season (july), water bill was over $500. Aug was $300 (thanks to some rain, and the weather report telling my Rachio it wasn’t needed) but it’s pretty much set it and forget it, till late summer when it’s time to put it in standby. Just a decent upgrade and for under $100, makes it even better. And… I got mine on WOOT! Cheers

2 Likes

Bought one through Woot last year and it’s been one of my better woots! Works great. Very easy to set up and use.

I pulled the trigger on this, seems like a lot of people are happy with their decision with buying this. Does anyone have this mounted outside their house? Since that is where my old controller is mounter.

I believe Rachio sells a thing to protect it outdoors.

Yep

1 Like

Nope. Mine is inside the garage. HOWEVER, you can get a box for it to mount on the outside. Seems $30 is the going price but seen it on ebay for $20. NIB… Pick your poison.

1 Like

ah perfect, thanks!

Didn’t know about the enclosure, thanks!

A smart sprinkler controller is one of those things that you don’t think you need until you have one.

One of the biggest pains of a traditional sprinkler control system is testing the sprinklers. My sprinklers always run at night to prevent a waste of water due to excessive heat. So when a sprinkler breaks (or when you are getting set up each year), you end up running between the control box and the place in the yard where the sprinklers are spraying so you can test each station.

With a smart control system, you can switch stations right from the app on your phone, making it much easier to find and fix any problem situations.

My smart sprinkler system (Orbitz B-Hyve) connects to Amazon Alexa, so I can even run a station by talking to the Alexa app. (Which, I actually had to turn off because my kids were playing in the sprinklers too much.

Anyway, I don’t have this specific smart system, but if I didn’t have one, I’d want one. It has been awesome.