Roaring Brook Dairy Mozzarella Cheesemaking Kit

I don’t know about ‘most drinking milk’. I’m in the northeastern United States, and looked into this recently; I found that only a couple brands of the 30 or so I looked at are ultra-pasteurized.

Where can I find a Buffalo to milk for this stuff?

Not only a dead animal… Animal based rennet mainly comes from the stomach lining of veal calves. Yes… baby cows. Their stomachs produce much more of the enzymes needed to coagulate milk than older ones. So, vegetarians that eat cheese made with animal rennet would be supporting the slaughter of veal calves also.

How’s the quality of the final product? Living in Ann Arbor, I’ve always been tempted by this:

Their cheese is outstanding.

screw you woot…provel and st louis style pizza is amazing!! I’ll be in STL next weekend and I plan to bring plenty of provel back with me!!

the baby cow is what makes it so tasty!! i’m all for killing animals to make food…YUM!!

in for one! squeee! already have fresh dough in the fridge made from this recipe:

homemade dough and now HOMEMADE MOZZA?! these are gonna be the best pizzas ever.

Now if these don’t sell, I am going to be shocked! Of course, if they do sell, I hope they put up a Beano making kit.

I think Wooters bought all of Amazon’s cheesemaking kits this morning, and someone over there’s probably a bit puzzled.

Some vegetarians I believe have an issue with the animal being KILLED for the enzymes in its gut. Vegetarians eat CHEESE made from MILK from MAMMALS (not just cows) with the idea that nothing had to DIE to make the milk.

I like your FUNNY post though :wink:

Edited: to capitalize DIE, haha

Well, if you’re in St. Louis, there’s a county park (Lone Elk Park) with lots of free-roaming buffalo… I believe milking is highly discouraged, though; those things are pretty ornery…

Yes, you can used homogenized and pasteurized milk and still get a good result. Just no ultra-pasteurized milk or you’ll end up with something like tough ricotta.

Hah. Water buffalo is what you get Buffalo mozzarella from, and they live in Asia. Bison/American Buffalo are what roam in the US. I wouldn’t try to milk them…

At Sappington Farmers Market you can buy it by the 5 pound brick!

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutcheck/provel082710.jpg

Almost sold out already. That’s impressive.

I know your type. Add a little fertilizer and KABOOM!

U can use regular homogenized milk. Whole or 2 % is perfect. It just CANT be ultra-pasteurized milk, like organic milk. Ultra pastueurized has been heat treated which is not great for cheesemaking.

Leslie

The rennet that is used in this kit is made from vegetables…not from animal

The threat of the sell out got me. We get Kalona whole milk for our daughter from Whole Foods - it’s vat pasteurized and not homogenized, so we’ll try that to see what kind of cheese it makes. This should be interesting.

All your milk questions answered