SainSmart Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO Router

SainSmart Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO Router

@wootbot Since I’m the first sucker can you put up the compatible laser for sale? What good is a computer controlled machine without a lazer?

6 Likes

Agreed!
We have a special today for Woot customers! Enjoy 15% off any CNC accessories on sainsmart dot com

Use code WOOT15 during checkout.
Laser module
Router bits

Happy milling!

8 Likes

Don’t have this CNC machine, but am here to say :

I got the Sainsmart Ender 3 3D printer off woot some time back.
Had no issues with it at all - it’s a finicky setup, and reading through various groups / forums - lots of people have problems with theirs. I might be lucky, but I’m also… happy. Would ( and have) recommend.

3 Likes

Can this work with a Mac?

@sainsmart
What classifies as soft aluminum for this unit? I need to mark see engine parts that are 6061 and 7075 alloys.

Because we all need one with friggin laser beams attached to their heads, Number Two!

1 Like

If it can’t work with a Mac, just get a little refurbished PC for a few bux. Gonna be more compatible than running a virtual machine on your Mac too.

1 Like

Yes, the controller software is available for Mac.

Got one. Haven’t done a lot with it but so far I like it. I bought a set of router bits for it. (1/8") Main complaint is the instructions were underwhelming in their detail and completeness. All pictures–very little narrative. I had to undo parts of the assembly twice because I did it wrong, and there’s no explanation on how to use the clamps. I eventually figured it out via the photo on Woot.

1 Like

Can this work with a Mac?

You don’t run it with a computer. You run it with the little controller box. The controller reads gcode files from an SD card. So you simply need a computer capable of creating gcode files, which ANY computer can do - Mac, Linux, Windows, or whatever.

3 Likes

Many of us use a computer running Candle rather than the offline controller. It gives significantly more functionality and control.

3 Likes

Great question. It can.
Check out our updated documentation here: Genmitsu 3018 CNC Quick-Start Guide - SainSmart Resource Center

Like @Ask4Fish mentioned, it comes with an offline controller with MicroSD card reader. You can control the job without connecting a computer.

1 Like

Is this unit expandable?

And this will help my wifi HOW??

1 Like

I’ve personally ran this on a macbook using Easel. Worked great! Though I would love to find more software that works with on mac.

My ISP told me that I might need to reboot my router to get Internet back. Can you tell me where the boots are on this model router? Do you have any suggestions for brand of boots to buy? I’ve always been partial to Rockport myself.

2 Likes

Is this unit expandable?

If you mean adding end stops/limit switches, then yes. The main board has inputs available for that.

If you mean the actual carving area, you technically could but it’d probably be very involved. Needing new rods, rails, aluminum extrusions. But reusing the electronics, wiring (some wires might need extending), and motors.

I’m also interested in trying to get more carving space out of mine.

1 Like

Warning: may experience slow Internet. This router uses one bit at a time, i.e. 0.125 byte.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention, join our Facebook Desktop CNC community here: SainSmart Genmitsu CNC Users Group | Facebook

Plenty of project and upgrade ideas. Or just get support or showing off your carvings!

1 Like