SMC Barricade 4 Port Wireless-N Router

Product Website

woah this one’s hard to pass up! must…resist…

Amazon at $28.95

Doesn’t look like this is DD-WRT compatible, for anyone that was wondering.

Previous Woot

You know…This would be way more tempting if my laptop had wireless n on it. I may get it for when I upgrade though. The last featured router would not run split signals (g and n), any idea if this one will?

And probably won’t work in bridge mode without.

YouTube video

Dam you Woot and you’re irresistible pricing!

I’ve been having issues with my Fios issued wireless router. This will hopefully solve those issues.

Here’s the manual

This is hard to resist just on general principle. I’m very happy with my current wireless router, only have to reboot every six months or so…but its a netgear wireless g. Of course, all my laptops are G at this time, and my desktop is wired through. So…I can’t really make use of this…except I know I’m going to be buying some new laptops within the year…so having an N router would be good…and most of the review that I can find on this one are good.

Can anyone give me a good reason to buy, other than an absurdly low price??

Just found that in your old posts - does offer bridge mode…tempting.

Wireless Modes:

■ 11b only: All 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n clients will be able to
communicate with the Wireless Broadband Router, but the 802.11g
and 802.11n clients will be limited to 802.11b protocols and data
transmission rates (up to 11 Mbps).
■ 11g only: Both 802.11g and 802.11n clients will be able to
communicate with the Wireless Broadband Router, but the 802.11n
clients will be limited to 802.11g protocols and data transmission
rates (up to 54 Mbps). Any 802.11b clients will not be able to
communicate with the Wireless Broadband Router.
■ 11n only: Only 802.11n clients will be able to communicate with
the Wireless Broadband Router (up to 150 Mbps).
■ 11g/n mixed: Both 802.11g and 802.11n clients can communicate
with the Wireless Broadband Router (up to 150 Mbps), but data
transmission rates may be slowed to compensate for 802.11g
clients.
■ 11b/g/n Mixed: All 802.11b/g/n clients can communicate with the
Wireless Broadband Router (up to 150 Mbps), but data transmission
rates may be slowed to compensate for 802.11b/g clients

Can you explain what bridge mode is?

I am thinking the router would be a client to another access point and offer 4 ports for local wired devices. Is this correct?

I had one of the first SMC Barricade b/g models, and it lasted me for at least 4 or 5 years. The radio finally died, though.

I’d say, if you have or are planning on getting some N devices, it’s a great deal. And it’s still a good deal if you only have b/g devices.

Noobish question: I have a desktop which is connected to a router right now which is connected to my cablemodem. I want to get a second desktop that I don’t need to connect to any sort of hard line. Can I connect this router to the second desktop and network it with the first router which is connected to the internet? So this router would only be physically connected to the computer and nothing else. Would that work?

For anyone that wants to upgrade a computer to “n” I bought 1 of these and can access the neighbors WiFi from the wrong side of my house, so seems to have good range and is really small!

I have my own access point, only using the neighbors to test the range without moving from the couch! :slight_smile:

AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

Got it on amazon for $19, but the price went up to $22.49 since then.

http://www.amazon.com/AirLink101-AWLL5088-Wireless-Ultra-Adapter/dp/B003X26PMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289542338&sr=8-1

OK…I gave in. At the very least, it’ll serve as a backup to my current router. Nothing worse than having a key piece of your infrastructure give up the ghost at the wrong time (like the beginning of a woot-off). And then having to rush out and buy something at Burp Buy…with no way of doing analysis.

read comments from previous woot, more than a few negative comments about this router there.

just an FYI, this router does not support VPN connections or QOS.