Star Cats The Last Meow

Star Cats The Last Meow

Star Cats The Last Meow

I love this whole series, but you should probably sub this directly to woot. I don’t think it actually fits this derby theme at all. :frowning:

5 Likes

Walmazan (and this design) are both awesome! I think this is a great shirt and will sell really well at woot. However, every other design in the derby by every other artist is about dogs or cats vs dogs (because that is the theme!!!). It is mystifying to many of us that this is being considered “on-topic.” I know that I am making myself the bad guy here for complaining, but…

1 Like

I agree in theory, but cats rule the internet. I’m not sure why Woot sets themes. The cat shirt always wins.

1 Like

It is a great design, so I feel bad complaining (plus, I have now used up all my complaints until 2020), but, in theory, there are derby themes that should be enforced…

2 Likes

I agree completely.

1 Like

I think it’s less that you’re complaining, because it’s OBVIOUSLY a shirt Woot would print and would sell well through the direct portal. It’s more that it’s taking a top spot away from a doggo shirt that might deserve it. I agree.

2 Likes

Maybe, although woot voters/buyers are not known for their love of cats and Star Wars.

1 Like

I mean, there’s a way to stretch the entry to say that that cats represent the empire in Star Wars (I’ve never watched it, but I know they they are viewed as bad), with the implication that dogs are good (even though there are no dogs on this design), but…

Sorry, I didn’t want to upset anyone or brake any rule! To be honest when I read the theme I understand dogs and cats. And now is to late to me to eliminate the entry, but I don’t have any problem if woot reject this. Plus everyone knows who is in the bark side. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

As compensation, any money made from this design now or in the future, should be sent to me. :laughing:

I don’t think anyone is upset at you for the submission or for misreading the topic. I assume this one will get a daily at woot whether it gets rejected from the derby or not- great design! I am just mystified that woot has not enforced the derby topic rules and wonder what this means for future derbies?

2 Likes

Cats make the rules.

4 Likes

Once upon a (not that long ago) time we had a lengthy thread and discussion about improving the derby… and better explaining/enforcing the rules was number one on most of the lists. The derby has improved a lot but there are still a lot of improvements to be made. What this means for future derbies is likely more of the same that we’ve been seeing for years… inconsistency in these areas. A lot of artists have left but the handful of us that enjoy the spirit of the game and the creativity it sparks each week will stay and put up with the questionable moments. That said, woot staff might just be on vacation or something and haven’t gotten around to addressing this entry (I thought I saw on the FB page that Kate is out of town).

yeah, despite all my complaining, I keep subbing as well. I think this was a conscious decision on the part of woot to not DQ this clearly off-topic design. It is their choice since it is their derby, but an explanation as to why the derby rules are not being enforced in this case would have been nice.

1 Like

[quote=“pepper114, post:4, topic:508748”]
wins.
[/quote]At first glance, I didn’t get it. After considering the exact wording of the topic, it sort of fits. It’s the cats’ last meow, their last chance. The top figure kind of looks like a dog towering over the cats. Maybe the decision-makers saw a great design and, not knowing the artist’s thinking process, interpreted the design like that? Being a dog person who also shares our family with three cats and three dogs, of course I would have preferred the winner to be an obvious dog design. But I can understand both sides of this issue. I think the artist meant well. Things might be more clear-cut in the future, I hope.