Toshiba Satellite 15.6" AMD Quad-Core Laptop

I bought one of these from Best Buy earlier this month. We were specifically looking for a non-touch screen laptop to do web/email/iTunes around the home, replacing a 5-year old Dell.

Impressions so far: the trackpad is not in the middle of the laptop body (instead, it’s centered below the QWERTY part of the keyboard), which has taken some getting used to.

The laptop was having some trouble connecting to wi-fi after waking up from sleep mode, but I think it was a router problem and not the laptop itself. After resetting my router, the wi-fi connection has been much better.

Overall, I like the case and feel of the unit. Performance is solid given our typical use. It also has a lot of bloatware - some look like Toshiba products, but others might come with any Windows 8 laptop.

From what I understand in the license agreement (read: “most boring read ever”) you should be able to “downgrade” to win 7 with the windows 8 license. you still have to get a license/key from microsoft and they don’t really want you to downgrade but, you shouldn’t have to pay for it. Just depends on what hassles you want to go through.