CampMaid 6-Qt Dutch Oven & Lidlifter Combo

Any food grade oil will work. Bacon fat is a commonly used item. It really depends on how often you use the item. For example, if used every other day (like my house), olive oil works. If you get it out every six months, I would advise using food grade mineral oil. Other oils can turn rancid over time, but not mineral oil.
[/quote]
my buddy said that coconut oil and rocksalt is the best cleaner and seasoner for dutch ovens…

This model seems to have legs.

The Lidlifter! “It’s like a sparrow’s beak.” “Before there would be blood everywhere!”

It’s made in Holland. It’s a Dutch Oven. Duh…

i use flaxseed oil. it’s fantastic

If you mean to cook biscuits on top of the lid, that’s where you’d put the charcoal (or wood embers) to cook the top of the food inside the oven. If you mean to put biscuits on top of the food in the oven (this is how I do “lazy chicken pot pie” - shredded rotisserie chicken in gravy with veggies and topped with biscuits from a tube), then yes, it would work, assuming you put an appropriate amount of coals on the lid.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

You should read this blog regarding how to properly season cast iron pans.

I believe you guys both missed what the poster was asking. Dutch ovens usually come preseasoned in an unknown oil and I believe the poster wants to know what the manufacturer uses.

I kind of like the handle design, specifically how it attaches to the oven. The lid lifter/stand seems like an interesting design, but I’m dubious of the stability of it.

Also, I’m not totally opposed to foreign-made cast iron, but I would recommend very careful inspection upon arrival. In particular, check for cracks, consistent thickness of material and the fit of the lid. The photos on the manufacturer’s site seem to show a sizable gap, unless it’s just a weird shadow.

The bottom line is that as long as there aren’t any cracks and the lid fits well, you should be OK. Poor factory seasoning or even rough interior surfaces can be fixed, but a cracked or warped dutch oven won’t ever cook right.

The last time I got a DO from that part of the world, it was not “seasoned” but coated with a waxy grease similar to the kind used to pack machine parts. Use an outdoor gas grill on a day with a little breeze, put the DO in the grill on high with the grill closed until a bit after the nasty smoke stops. Wire brush out the residue and season. I use my gas grill on low and coat the iron inside and out with Crisco (the hard white stuff, not the liquid). This same system works for getting out burned-on cooking residue. Advice from an old Scoutmaster…

Or just buy from Lodge. Still made in the USA since the late 1800’s, and their pre-seasoning is ready and safe to cook with. Here’s their blurb on the seasoning they use and soy allergies: “Lodge uses a soy-based vegetable oil to season our cookware. The oil is highly refined, and all proteins that cause soy-related allergies are eliminated. The oil contains no animal fat, peanut oil, or paints.”
They are higher priced, but well worth it.

6 qt. Lodge:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-Dutch-Oven-Qt/dp/B00006JSUH/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455918362&sr=8-4&keywords=the+lodge+dutch+oven

$56

Check this out

Get the Lodge. made in Pittsburgh. It will cost you $10 more.

Agree with using Lodge…not that this one is bad, I have no idea. But…for $10 more, why would you take a chance?

Just FYI, we received a Lodge dutch oven as a gift for xmas, and I said “I’ll never use this thing!”. Well, about a dozen camping trips later, TOTALLY worth it. So many recipes online and so easy to use, it’s my go to cooking unit for snacks (dutch oven nachos are the bomb!) and meals nowadays.

And don’t get anything with the coils over the handle. Use the lidlifter for picking it up and ‘lifting the lid’. With coals on the lid (you will need to have coals on the lid), it wouldn’t matter if the handle had coils on it or not, you can’t hold the handle above hot coals to carry it anyway.

Somehow I think this unit would work just as well, but I’m sticking with our Lodge brand…

Lodge is in South Pittsburg, Tennessee, which is not a bit like Pittsburgh.

Holicrap their lid-lifter multi-tool kicks buttocks. - YouTube