CampMaid 6-Qt Dutch Oven & Lidlifter Combo

Check out the product page for the dutch oven

“CampMaid was invented in Utah (2013) where it is headquartered and warehoused.”

Nice. Where is it made?

These days, many items made in the USA would advertise that it’s made in the USA. Since it’s not stated, I will guess that it’s not.

(I still use my woot cast iron pan on a regular basis.)

Strange that this high quality oven doesn’t have the wire coiled grip on the handle to aid in lifting and keeping your hand cool.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a camp Dutch oven with a wire wrapped handle. They often bury them to cook, and the wire would get clogged with dirt. The lid lifter doubles as a Dutch oven lifter, so a hot handle shouldn’t be a problem.

I don’t ever recall this brand. Anyone else had experience with Camp Maid?

And does the Lid Lifter/Stand work?

what kind of oil is the dutch oven cured with? My son is allergic to soy, hence my question.

what kind of oil is the dutch oven cured with? My son is allergic to soy, hence my question.
[/quote]

Any food grade oil will work. Bacon fat is a commonly used item. It really depends on how often you use the item. For example, if used every other day (like my house), olive oil works. If you get it out every six months, I would advise using food grade mineral oil. Other oils can turn rancid over time, but not mineral oil.

I would always clean it and re-season yourself after buying any cast iron cookware. Its not hard to due, mostly high temp in the oven, youtube it.

Found on overstock for another part from Campmaid, Taiwan is country of origin. Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more

Hmmm…very tempted by this. Would the lid ridge be deep enough to do a “biscuits on top” bake?

Found this on Amazon for $37.85 with prime shipping, but it’s temporarily out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/CampMaid-Dutch-Oven-Holder-Black/dp/B00BTII978

That’s a listing for just the pot lid lifter and stand. Dutch oven not included.

Made in Taiwan according to Amazon…

Taiwan is better than China, except they may get them from China and box them in Taiwan.

A camping dutch oven without legs is much harder to use than one with legs. Can’t recommend buying one without legs.

Any food grade oil will work. Bacon fat is a commonly used item. It really depends on how often you use the item. For example, if used every other day (like my house), olive oil works. If you get it out every six months, I would advise using food grade mineral oil. Other oils can turn rancid over time, but not mineral oil.
[/quote]

This person wanted to know what it was seasoned with at the factory. Since it is imported, I’ll bet the company in the USA has no idea.

Sigh, I still regret not having the $ at the time for one of those.

taiwan