Derby Preview #755: Happy Thoughts!

This derby is text only!!!

We could all use a break from the news, so let’s think happy thoughts! I want them on tees, text only with embellishments. Embellish out the wazoo…but no full pictures or major graphic elements.

Phrases, slogans…keep it light-hearted, happy and positive! As much you bunch of pessimistic, introverted, sarcastic folks can…

Also text must be hand drawn or computer manipulated. I still don’t like comic sans.

*This Derby begins MONDAY March 30th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY April 6th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to email your artwork to derby@woot.com as soon as you submit!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, please check out our full derby guidelines over here!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

IlikewordslotsandlotsandlotsandlotsWhydoIlikewordsyouaskItsbecausetheycangoonandonandon…

1 Like

@Lady5tark, I got this. Good vibes only.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, does this mean no premade fonts at all? Even ones I tweak?[quote=“Lady5tark, post:1, topic:558810”]
Also text must be hand drawn or computer manipulated. I still don’t like comic sans.
[/quote]

Pre-made fonts are allowed as long as they are tweaked or manipulated in some way.

1 Like

I always had issue with that.
To me, the idea of manipulating a font requires manually deforming the letters. Using Bezier tools and the like…
Exclusively using skew, distort, warp, etc., is that considered manipulating them? Because it really seems like that is all that some people do.

Yes that is considered manipulating. We can’t make the barrier to entry so high that no one participates. Not everyone has experience designing fonts, or using hand lettering.

Sure. Thanks for clarifying.
I am more of a purist, much to my own chagrin. I take things too literally and limit myself, then find out that I am the only one…

Thanks!

2 Likes

It says the Derby doesn’t launch until Friday at noon?

Nope, just a minor snafu… it’s fixed now.

1 Like

Hola
I’m new here.

1. Did this Derby just launched and have 49 entries in one hour?

(I uploaded at last minute)
2. Does voting gets disable when a new Derby launches?

Yes. New Derby means the old has completely shut down. And yes-- people enter stuff pretty quick. It’s insane.

1 Like

And yes, voting starts right away, as of right now we don’t have a way to separate subs and voting, but it’s something we are considering for future!

1 Like

@Lady5tark Not to bring about unhappiness, but there are at least a dozen entries that are using off-the-shelf fonts rather than hand drawn or modified. Are these going to be allowed? It would be good to know for future derbies that have similar rules whether these rules will be enforced.

Not including the fonts on curves, using warp, distort, scale, skew, etc… right… we covered that a bit earlier in this thread… @kg07

1 Like

Mine are all hand drawn, but I get what you mean. There are always some that are borderline. I always wonder if mine look like a font, but you know, a bad one. I work really hard on an E, and then I copy it for any E I need. That kind of thing.

1 Like