Derby Preview #788: UGLY HOLIDAY SWEATERS!!!!!

Are. You. REEEAADDDDYYYY!!!

No Halloween. No Thanksgiving. No politics. No cream.

*This Derby begins MONDAY November 16th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY November 23rd at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

@benjaminleebates

Yes!

It’s not halloween. And we know it won’t be a real sweater…but yes!

1 Like

This will be my first ever attempt at creating ugly sweater designs. Anyone have tips or suggestions? I can get them to the stage of pixel art (mosaic style) but am hoping for pointers on getting that real ugly sweater texture going.

Many thanks in advance!

I think there is a plug in for photoshop or illustrator that will give you the actual knit stitches.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this…but I have a degree in knitwear design…so this Derby is always painful for me to judge. None of these are technically possible to actually knit.

10 Likes

I’m stuck using Photopea (or GIMP when I’m feeling adventurous).
I don’t have that Photoshop money…yet.

Sounds like when I see people call something a “stencil” because they put some fake overspray or drips around it. They’re my specialty.

1 Like

I’ve done a few different ways over the years, but this year I’ve settled on the easiest. You can make a pattern in Illustrator. I made a square of stitches (overlapping ovals in a V shape), and filled a 1inch pattern square with that. Then I copied the pattern for each color I wanted to use. Then all I have to do is draw like normal. I just finished this one for that derby - called Kaleidostitch. And @Lady5tark - I apologize for the impossibility of stitching this. I cross stitch. I do understand.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ve figured out a rudimentary work-around based on your advice. It probably won’t be my best work ever, but I’m going to give it a go.

2 Likes

haha…one year…MAYBE…I’ll take the design that is possible and I will have it knit!

2 Likes

I’m doing one that looks more like applique… So no knitting involved ehehehe

1 Like

Sorry if this is a dumb question… but would a Ruth Bader Ginsberg sweater be considered political?

If you use Ai try this method. Turn on grid and then select snap to grid. Make a V shape and fit it into one square of the grid. The bigger your canvas the more detail you can work with. The smaller the lesser. Here are some screen shots.

1 Like

That’s close to me method, I think I will try that next time, mine were just simple V’s, but I like the nature of your V’s better.

no.

Awesome technique! Makes me wish I had Illustrator!

I’m working on the low-budget (actually, the NO budget) side of things - Autodesk Sketchbook and Photopea.

I use Adobe Illustrator and then I create a grid with those little V shapes, and then I turn them into Live Paint Groups. That allows me to paint like pixel art, very satisfying.

2 Likes

Photoshop elements might work (don’t know about a plug-in you’d have to research). Woot had it on sale but looks like it is sold out…might google it. Would be cheaper than the monthly charge. Good luck!

1 Like

That looks better than a lot of sweater designs I have seen! Wish I had the artistic talent you all have…guess that is why I am the “buyee”