Diamondback Recoil 29er

could you put a back rack on it? hoping to use it as a winter bike

How much extra to get pedals?

Seat beats pedals

#KnowYourRochambeau

I stand 6’5" … anyone know if the 20-inch frame would stand tall enough for me to ride comfortably?

A traditional rack Will not work because a full suspension bike has pivot points. There are seatpost mounted racks. They don’t support as much weight, but can work well, assuming you don’t need to have the seatpost as low as it can go

You want a 22.5 inch frame.

You don’t want a Diamondback. You want a GIANT.

haha :slight_smile:

LOL. Pedals are included. Some lazy photographer somewhere didn’t want to put them on, I guess.

Why not get a bike basket…

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/15896441?wid=3000&qlt=70&fmt=pjpeg

Five questions (feel free to answer any or all):

1. What size frame for 6’, 31" inseam?

2. What is the weight of the bike?

3. Is anyone familiar with the components…typical for an under $500 bike, a $500 - $1000 bike, etc?

4. Write-up mentions two tire brands (Schwalbe in description & Kenda in specs)…which is it?

5. How much assembly is required?
    TIA

nope! You need a much larger bike than this.

1. The 20-inch size should be fine for you.
  2. Probably heavier than you’d like :stuck_out_tongue: Update: weighs 35lbs (from an Amazon review of a size Large bike)
  3. The components are not real great, but usable. What confuses me is the general description says 3x8 drivetrain whereas the Specs say 3x9… which is it?
  4. The tires seem to be Kenda Honeybadgers, not a bad tire.
  5. It’s not hard to assemble these yourself.

Hey something I might actually know about!

1. probably a large. With that inseam you can probably fit on a medium, but based on reach measurements you’ll be more comfortable with a large.

2- No actual info, but based on the quality of the components, I’d guess 32-34lb.

1. I think this is a great deal for basic transportation at 375. I have two diamondback bikes and one thing that they do very well is putting quality parts where you wouldn’t find them on other bikes. The handlebars, seatpost, and stem are all pretty decent here. The wheels, shock, fork, and brakes are pretty low end. The shifting is decent enough for the price. this is a good bike for riding around the neighborhood and light off roading. I think you’ll find it’s limits quick with any aggressive mountain biking.

4: Who knows. Diamondback is not very good about their descriptions, but their website lists Kenda, Kenda is featured in the photos, and Kenda is generally a cheaper tire than Schwalbe, so I’d guess kenda if I had to.

Five; not a lot. Based on the two bikes I own, you’ll need a five mm allen wrench to install the stem, which will already be connected to the handlebars. The wheels can be installed by hand. The seatpost may already be in, or you may need to simply install it. The pedals will have to be added and may need either a 15mm wrench or 6mM allen, depending on what they are. The website lists “ready to ride in four steps” with no info, so my guess is wheels, handlebar/stem, seat, pedals.

How is this not a quality post??? You’re losing it, Woot!

to kalexi: Even though I am not in the market for a mountain bike at this time, this was by far the most succinct, informative, and helpful bike comment I have read on Woot in many years. Bravo.

Here are some of the answers from our buyer:

The actual bike weights ~35 pounds

Most components are Shimano, which are typically an upgrade on traditional bikes in this pricepoint

Tires are Kenda Honey Badger 29x 2.2"

YMMV on assembly, but the bike comes 97% assembled; just the front tire and handlebars need to be added.

thanks! I’m an avid mountain biker and part time wooter. The budget bike price point can be a real challenge, and diamondback brings some quality stuff to the table. It can be a real challenge to figure out what you need/want etc., but since I own two diamondback bikes (one complete stock and the other heavily upgraded) I thought I’d chime in.

I would strongly suggest to anyone considering this purchase to consider a hard tail bike in the $300-$500 range. Dual suspension bikes at this price point are notoriously bad, as in so bad you should consider your almost inevitable medical co-pays resulting when something on this rig breaks while you are riding.
This would also solve the rack issue for the poster above.

Thanks to kalexi319, Thundertighs, and Beerbo. I ride daily, weather permitting, at least 10 miles, but not aggressively. I have several bikes (a recumbent, a folding bike, something called the Roumdtail, plus an old Trek). I don’t actually need another bike, but this one might interest me if it was a good value (mainly interested in reliability, longevity, no hassle upkeep, and if it wasn’t too much of a downgrade compared to what I already own). Having some back issues, I welcome a dual suspension. SmilingBoognish’s post is making me pause.