First Alert ONELINK Wireless Smoke Alarm - 2 Pack

These are NOT the ones where you can program a location name that is announced during the alarm.

Seem like a good deal, though. They’re $60 over at Amazon

The wireless capability is nice, but I wonder how quickly they eat through batteries?

Pretty decent. I haven’t really noticed a difference since I switched from regular non-wireless smoke detectors. (And I’m not the kind of person that replaces the batteries religiously on DST changes, either).

got these a long time ago (like 2 years or so). Not too bad for batteries so far and wasn’t too hard to link them together. The one lucky wooter got a great deal on these.

I have six of these throughout my house. They don’t seem to eat up batteries at a particularly fast rate, so that’s nice. They’ll alert you when the charge is getting low so you don’t have to worry.

On the other hand, I don’t think there’s a way to see if the wireless is actually working. The test button does not set off the other units.

Uh… I’ve got the version of these with the voice location and they all go off if I hit the test button on one of them. Might want to check your setup.

the comments went up like a puff of smoke. Good thing woot has some excellent smoke detectors today. Now we can protect the entire home, and save the neighbors. Nice woot!!!

I think I’m seeing things, the button was bouncing…I refreshed the page and now they’re back-no bouncing button. Maybe I’m just that tired.

The test button should set off all the units. If they aren’t you need to make sure you have the same channel set on all of them. I’ve installed well over a 100 of these for clients, they are great. Same battery life as the non-wireless ones and I’ve personally seen the difference they make in two house fires where lives most likely would have been lost without the connectivity because of the location the fires started in. If you don’t have a hardwired system, you want this (or it’s big brother that also tells you the location.)

Yeah!! I lit up the state of Texas!!

Really what you want is something that can detect smoke and fire. Of course if you can get one that does smoke, fire and carbon monoxide, then you have something really special.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-Talking-Smoke-Alarm-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Combination-Detector/10848836

Sure it costs a little more but this should be a must have in every home, especially if you have gas.

This reminds me of the battery commercial where the guy is trying to figure out which smoke alarm battery is beeping, too funny!

Since the original “fire sale” pun was deleted, does that mean I can now claim it as my own?

From the write up it sounds like this would have woke me up a little earlier…

If you don’t know where you should install them, here’s a document with code requirements for most states from the US Fire Administration (PDF).

For those wanting more specifics, there’s the whole NFPA 101 Fire Life Safety code.

I’m told the bouncing button happens for a bit when the sale is reset.

Also, I deleted the other posts just to trim the fat off the thread and to not confuse those that arrived late to the party.

Even if your home is fully smoke-detector-enabled, FEMA suggests that smoke detectors be replaced every 8 to 10 years (see http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/alarms/ ).

You can insert your own FEMA joke here. (But even so, it’s probably good advice.)

Slight warning about these all in one detectors… Sure it’s nice to have the CO detector built in, but CO is a VERY light gas which means by the time a detector on the ceiling recognizes it, it could be too late for the residents. The best thing to do is have a CO detector on each level of the home and at the height of a normal power outlet. It just so happens that most CO detectors do plug into a standard 110v outlet and use a battery (usually a 9v, but I’ve been seeing more AA ones) as backup for when the power is out.

CO detectors are built with electric plugs for a few reasons. 1) Unlike smoke & fire detectors that you want on the ceiling since heat rises, you want these closer to the floor so you are warned before it reaches the height of a normal bed. 2) They sample the air so often that using battery powered detectors would eat through the battery power quite fast, leaving people unprotected since we all know how lazy many people are about changing batteries.

This is purely my opinion but it is based on many years of training & experience as a firefighter and paramedic.

Great resources! Smoke detectors should not be a 2nd thought or located based on interior design decisions.