Greenworks Brushless Cordless Mower

I’ve been mowing with a corded electric mower and it is great. I’d love to ditch the cord but I worry about battery life.

How much mowing does everyone get from their cordless mowers?

How long until the batteries fail and I need another battery?

I have this model and it cuts great! However…I have the 40 volt 4ah batteries (the gmax larger ones) and my 1/4 acre lot requires almost 2 to finish…of course my technique may be off but just a word of caution for those thinking your gonna mow a big yard with this. Even having to get the extra battery I still would never go back to a gas mower for a small yard again. The lack of dealing with gas and oil is so worth it!

Don’t forget cleaning it now and then, a clean motor doesn’t overheat as easily.

It says this Greenworks mower has a 70 minute runtime. That is a long time for a battery mower. Definitely worth it for a 70 minute runtime.

I’ve been very happy with my Greenworks 40V Twin Force mower. Advantage over today’s machine is that both battery ports deliver power; no need to switch batteries when the first runs low. Twin Force is really light, but plastic deck instead of steel. No side discharge option, either.

Mowing per charge is highly dependent on grass type & thickness. My whole lot is less than 1/3 acre (incl house, drive, back parking, etc). Front yard is heavy St. Augustine & sometimes takes almost both batteries. Back is a little smaller with pretty thin Zoysia; seems like the mower could cut that all day on a single battery.

This seems like a really good deal compared to Mothership price.

Is the 70 min runtime PER battery, or for both batteries combined?

Good question! Also curious. I would bet it’s both batteries. As it would take about that long to cut 1/2 acre.

I have had two Greenworks Mowers… Over the last 6 or 7 years… The batteries last a few years before they need replacing… The mowers themselves are outstanding… The one i use to mow my parents house uses both batteries over the course of a mow in the spring when the grass is at its thickest. They have about 1 full acre of grass. Hands down one of the best mowers gas or electric i have ever used…

While the lawnmower at this price is comparable to 21" gas-powered lawnmowers, isn’t gas still more cost effective given the cost of replacing two batteries every 2 to 3 years?

That’s what I assume as well. I have almost exactly 1/2 acre to mow and would hate to run out of juice with 1 or 2 rows to go!

I cannot get the free shipping thru my Amazon Prime acct

Hey there, make sure when you log in you use the “Log in with Amazon” button. Then you should see a banner at the top and on the sale page saying you qualify for the free shipping. If you make it to the checkout page and you’re still seeing the shipping, simply reload your page. As long as you use the “Login with Amazon” button, it should take the shipping off.

The part I don’t like about this particular mower is the “battery storage” . . . sure that is great if you are in the middle of the yard and want to swap out the battery, but otherwise, it adds weight and not needed. I have the 80V Kobalt (which is made by Greenworks) and I have St. Augustine thick grass. The two batteries in that setup will mow a quarter acre. Each batter will last 30 minutes. The kicker here is that the batter only takes 30 minutes to charge . . . but, if the battery is hot, it won’t charge, which it is when it comes off the mower, so I have to cool it off before starting the charging. If you had 3 batteries, you’d never need to worry about it. So, things to look at is how fast batteries charge, having storage for the battery on the mower is silly, and how much a replacement cost. Your type of grass will also impact the run time, since the motor runs at the lowest power necessary to meet the minimum RPM’s. As you bog it down, the motor spins harder by using more power. I’ve only ever once killed it by overwhelming it, something I frequently did with a gas mower. I love battery powered mowers now, no problems starting, no gas to pour, oil to change, filters to change, fuel lines rotting and replaced . . .

This is full push; you can get propelled out ther, but something to think about, you are going to chew up the battery even faster with a propelled. You have to power an additional motor to drive the wheels, which means more draw on the battery. Unless you really can’t push the mower, you should avoid it. Electric mowers are much lighter than gas, and in this case, don’t store the second battery while mowing, that’s just dead weight.

Add up the full cost. Fuel for a season, air filter, oil change, spark plugs . . . if you actually follow the maintenance schedule for your mower, you’re probably close to break even.

[we use a battery electric mower, a Kobalt which is Lowes brand, 40V model. the house sits on a large corner lot, this mower allows for 2 batteries in it and shifts from one to the other when one is used up… the most i have had to use is 4 batteries to do the entire lawn and that was when it was very overgrown, normally it goes through 2 and starts on the 3rd. being a kobalt it uses same batteries as many of the power tools so we have 2 chargers and about 8 batteries 4 40V and 4 20V…quiet, i can mow the lawn at 3am without disturbing the neighbors = nice here in texas during the summer. hopefully that helps the nice thing about kobalt is since it is the lowes brand its pretty much a lifetime warrenty… anything goes wrong with the mower we take it to the store and they replace it, no dealing with having to send it off for repair