Hitachi Cordless Drill or Impact Driver

Check out the comments from October

Great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) on the drill over at lowes.com

used mine to install plywood over the walls in my garage last week…

Still loving it.

Would eat my Crappsman drill alive… if the battery wasn’t already dead.

I own this drill. I think that it is a good deal at $65 for sure. Only things to note would be that the batteries do not last a super long time. This was not really an issue for me as the unit came with 2 batteries so I always had one charged. Also the chuck does not hold a round bit very tight. The chuck has a plastic grip type edge that can only be tightened hand tight.

I bought the impact driver’s matching drill and rotary tool on a previous woot and they’ve been fine for my light duty uses. They all use the same batteries.

Two batteries or one plus a charger would cost about the same as the impact driver kit, and this kit comes with two batteries and a charger. In for one…

I own one of these drills and it is BY FAR the best cordless drill I’ve ever owned. Craftsman and Dewalt don’t even compare. Highly recommend it.

So this 12v impact driver comes with a 10v battery. Sounds like real power there. Pass…

Was just thinking the same thing.

Hey WOOT $15. more about a month ago,
I want my money back! Not fair!

Nearly all 12v compact tools are 10.8v operating. Makita, Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, and I think Dewalt as well.

12v is the charge. 10.8v is the operating/nominal voltage. This is similar to how some (not all it seems) 20v systems are really just repackaged 18v. If we did this to 12v car batteries, we’d be calling them some 13 or 14 volt batteries.

It’s marketing (especially in the US). Buyers see the lower 10.8v and instead opt for the 12v competitor thinking it’s better due to the voltage difference–it isn’t on that factor alone.

Also, for an impact driver, I’d be more concerned about the torque and impacts per minute than the battery voltage. Those are more indicative of the usefulness.

It’s worth noting that the drill comes with (2) 14.4V Lithium Ion batteries, while the impact driver comes with (2) 10.8V batteries.

Yes a little confusing on the 12v/10v. Every where I looked Hitachi showed different numbers…bottom line it looks like the 12volt is a ‘‘Peak’’ power rating. Here is a so so video I ran across.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdJS_0nsHQ

I do have a Hitachi chain saw and weed eater and they are both very well made and work great.

I wouldn’t buy anything with less than 18v. It’s such a frustration to use it for half an hour and have it drain its battery out. Just pay a little extra for the next power level up, it saves you a lot of frustration. Pass…

Bought the impact driver the last time it was offered (in October). Used it to put together some furniture in my new apartment and am very impressed. Far more effective than the drill/drivers I’ve used previously–those would stall out when getting a screw most of the way into a heavy wood piece and require hand work to get it fully seated whereas the impact driver just keeps on going.

It is loud as all hell, though, so there’s that–it may irritate your neighbors.

Me too! It’s a great product, though.

great drill needed a new one for when doing assorted projects around the house especially good when there are 2 batteries.