How old is too old to eat a leftover?

How old is too old to eat a leftover?

2 Likes

I herd from a lady in butcher shop that you shouldn’t eat cold cut meats more than 5 days old and I’ve herd that about certain leftovers (less depending on what it is) so I try to go by that.

2 Likes

Anyone over age 12 shouldn’t eat leftovers.

6 Likes

As soon as my food starts growing it’s own food, it’s time to go. Otherwise, it’s fair game!

12 Likes

Ummmm… seriously?! We cook once, maybe twice a week and eat off that. We also shop once a month, too… so…

3 Likes

I am never too old to eat, leftovers or whatever.

4 Likes

My mom called them Mustgoes. Eat it or I’ll throw it out, like she had it timed down to the minute when it became unhealthy.

3 Likes

I’ve had leftovers that should not have been eaten and the toilet is my witness.

4 Likes

The nose knows.

But when it’s wrong, the backside pays the price.

4 Likes

Personal record: 3 month old not refrigerated White Castle burger. It was completely dehydrated, but tasted exactly like a fresh one.

4 Likes

Depends on the food.

4 Likes

Be careful with those leftovers. George Carlin once said that he was once looking through the leftovers in his refrigerator and found an empty plate… " Y’ever been looking through the
refrigerator and you come across an empty plate? Boy,
that starts me to wondering. Did something eat
something else? Maybe the olives ate the tuna! Maybe
that chicken isn’t really dead yet. Actually, I picture
a little mouse with gloves and a parka on, y’know. Just
waiting for the lights to go out."

7 Likes

It all depends on the food in question as they age differently. I could make a sandwich; eat half today, and by tomorrow the other half is just hanging in there. On the other hand a can of pears opened and stored in a airtight container in the fridge is still good ten days later as I found out last night.

2 Likes

My refrigerator is new and it keeps food at a safe level. If we can let food sit in cans, why not in cold storage? Yum!!

2 Likes

I miss George Carlin! He was a master!

2 Likes

Um, no I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a serious answer. Just my guess, but a joke sarcastic answer playing on the question “how old is too old…” fits right in with woot forums.

I could be wrong though. But I’m over 12 and I also only cook limited times each week and pick up groceries curbside once a month, and I also eat lots of leftovers. :thinking: :laughing:
Might be time for a wake up coffee right now… :coffee:

3 Likes

Use your senses. Smell, do it smell o.k…
Touch, is it slimy. Sight,look o.k?see anything growing out of it? Hearing, is the product in question screaming or moaning? Last taste. Is it real bad?
But always, When in doubt throw it out.
Especially when serving others who might get sick from it.

2 Likes

Time to wake up anyway… :grin:

1 Like

Once I ate leftover home made cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving on the following Thanksgiving. I have an iron stomach and it takes serious training to keep it that way.

3 Likes

Having mine now, but since I was heading to bed when I wrote that… probably wasn’t a good idea :slight_smile:

It’s hard to tell about serious versus sarcastic tones in text. Hmmmm … maybe that’s why people misunderstand me… nah… It’s me. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes