MacRostie 2001 Syrah Three-Pack

from eRobertparker.com

86 points $19.00
The dark ruby/purple-colored, soft, fruity 2001 Syrah Blueoaks Vineyard is an easygoing, light, seductive effort that should have huge crowd appeal. Drink it over the next 2-3 years.

this was similar to something that came up before, right? how did people like that? the forums seem to be pretty good, but not overly ecstatic.

Was reading up on the 2003 vintage Pablos Rosa? offered by them in a past woot and it seemed to indicate that while the wine wsa not a knockout was in a good class for its price. Think I might pass…darn no wine since sake and the woot off. :frowning:

$39.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Syriffic
product(s): 3 MacRostie Winery 2001 Syrah

Slacking off tonight & missed the launch! I think MacRostie had a great rep from Beta, so I’ll be interested to see how this week pans out.

A compelling blend: Grapes: 95% Syrah, 5% Pinot Noir
It’s not often that you see Pinot Noir ‘wasted’ on blending.

I have so much syrah, French,American,Australian… I think I’m set, My budget for this month was blown in Feburary for crying out loud!

sounds like good juice anyhow.

Hmmmm, May not be a bad deal for $15/btl.

I loved the MacRostie that came up last time, but I am no oenophile. That was the 2003 Paso Robles Syrah. Very tempted. If only it wasn’t my wife’s birthday. She doesn’t drink reds.

The 2003 was amazing for the price…

Yea but they usually go for $18/bottle. Not much of a break. I may get one anyway.
https://secure13.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=macrostie&BusType=BtoC&Count1=372997462&Count2=290137887&ProductID=3&Target=products.asp

maybe its not " wasted". perhaps they captured enough of the PN flavor to add something special. Has anyone ever sampled this wine in real life? im tempted.

Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: brinkmann0
Speed to first woot: 0m 25.983s

[Victory is mine!]

And we FINALLY have a new ad! No more Patty! Woohoo!!

Yer killin’ me, wine.woot! Thank gawd the kids are through college, although my retirement will be sharing wine with the other old ladies in the home! Guess I’m in for 1. Can’t help myself!!!

91 Points - Wine Spectator
“Very intense and marked by a strong white pepper and spice character, exhibiting dense blackberry, beef, leather and exotic spices, accented by bay leaf. Finishes with chewy, beefy, leathery tannins. Best from 2004 through 2012. 640 cases made.” - 91 Points - Wine Spectator “Here is cool-climate Syrah. There is a white pepper aroma that leaps from the glass, and the acids and tannins are much more pronounced. Yet there are also underlying blackberry and plum flavors that are rich, ripe and dense. The wonderful structure and finesse is easily worth the price.” - 93 Points - Wine Enthusiast

ok, make that 2. Geez.

Here’s a review from Wine Spectator. they gave this wine an 86 score (as did Robert Parker from an earlier post). Release price of $19

“An earthy, meaty style, with beef carpaccio, wild berry, sage and dusty berry flavors supported by firm, chalky tannins that leave a drying sensation. Drink now through 2009. 881 cases made. –JL”

Only “wasted” if it is truly a great wine. Otherwise, it compliments and contrasts with the other wines to make a truly interesting wine.

I think you got the wrong vineyard here. This is the Wildcat Mountain review and the wine in the picture is the Blue Oaks Vineyard. which got an 86 score.

I have to agree, that last MacRostie woot (07/2006) was some delicious stuff.

So one has to figure, it is the same price as last year, but one less bottle, yet a two year older vintage, but very good to great tasting results/comments…hmmm.

If you’re in for 3, it comes to $13.88 each (including shipping)

When the winemaker is able to join us here, perhaps he can contrast this week’s offering with both the winery’s prior Syrah offering on wine.woot and the Wildcat Mountain Syrah referenced two posts above.

Still in for 2. Thanks for enlightening me.

btw, tried 14 Hands Merlot tonight in a restaurant. We opened it and let it breathe for about 40 minutes. Flat, uninteresting and surprisingly, it won the restaurant pour-by-the-glass award. However, the award was for the 2002, and they were out so we had the 2003. Not impressed. That’s a pass. Just sayin…