North American Outdoor 35-Quart Saf-T-Cooker / Turkey Fryer

Use the Alton Brown Turkey Derrick for safe turkey frying. A-frame ladder, pulley, and rope make for a burn free experience.

Multiple links just in case

whole episode

Fry Turkey Fry Part 1
Fry Turkey Fry Part 2
Fry Turkey Fry Part 3 <- This has the derrick

The design of the stand looks like it makes the burner unsuitable for use with a wok. That’s a shame.

homeowners…woot has found a way to help you with your upside down mortgage

Yes!! Can’t wait for the Allstate commercial!

Yay! Frozen turkey launcher!

While there are hazards, if you do your research and follow common sense, you will end up with some of the best turkey you have ever eaten.

*Turkey MUST be fully thawed and as dry as possible(room temperature at least on the surface will minimize splatter), hot oil and water don’t mix, and a frozen turkey will cause a violent reaction and fire, and may kill you.

*Never do it indoors, you are dealing with oil and flame, not something you want inside your home, don’t do it in your garage or under an overhang, if the oil catches fire the flames can be quite high

*Have a fire extinguisher that is good for oil/grease fires

*Get good thermal gloves designed for the task

*Use a level firm nonflammable surface(not your attached deck), a huge pan of oil tipping over can spread fire quite a ways, a good cement patio a decent distance from your house is nice, some people actually use landscaping bricks to make a solid platform

*Multiple small turkeys cook quicker with less oil, less oil means less likely spillover and catch fire, and more turkeys means more drumsticks(the best part), and if you are interested multiple turkey can allow you to try different marinades and/or brines

*Pre-measure to make sure the oil level won’t overflow with the biggest turkey

*Slowly lower the turkey, don’t drop it, this helps minimize the reaction of the oil to the surface moisture

*Keep your pets and children away, if the pot if knocked over it would be a disaster

*Pick a good oil, I prefer peanut oil, but many will work, just need a high smoke point

*NEVER leave it unattended, keep an eye on the temp to avoid the oil catching fire(and burnt oil is gonna ruin the flavor anyways), and an unattended pot of oil can quickly become a towering inferno

*Turn off flame any time oil is likely to splatter or spill, ie: when adding or removing the turkey

*The turkey may end up looking burnt, but if you have done it right the inside will be the most moist turkey you ever had

Homebrewing: Al is fine for homebrewing. There is a bunch of noise about it, but John Palmer ignores it: John Palmer says aluminum is good. | Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

but the real pain is the 15 minute shut off, see the amazon reviews. If that is not easily overridden, then the 40 minutes "I can ignore the kettle " from 60 minute to 20 minutes hop additions is gone.

Overall pretty tempting to upgrade my current setup for one with a spigot. I wonder about cleaning it…

Aluminum is fine for beer…

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Is_aluminum_safe_for_brewing%3F

These are great for brewing up your holiday beer 5gal at a time! :slight_smile:

…despite what all the aluminum hating naysayers above wrote. There is no reason you can’t brew your must in aluminum. It’s best not to use sodium hypochlorite on aluminum, but most people use b-brite anyway, and really, with the boil, you don’t need to sanitize your brew pot! (just wash it and rinse it well. :wink: I’d be more worried about the crap the municipality puts in the water, or the spring water supplier doesn’t tell you is in their water, than the tiny possibility of some aluminum leeching into the must.

The drain valve and built in thermometer are very nice features here. It’s no fun dropping 5 gallons of painstakingly made hot must while trying to carefully pour it off into your primary fermenter! For the valve alone, this package is the perfect brewing setup.

And here I was telling myself it wouldn’t make sense to buy it. You guys are not making it easy to be financially responsible right now.

By the way, if you decide not to bother frying it, or if your fryer gets lost in delivery, try his turkey recipe with the broth brine. Normally I get sick of turkey leftovers after a day. I don’t actually like turkey much to begin with, too dry.

But… I used Alton’s recipe last year, and still wanted more turkey after it was all gone! It was that juicy and delicious, I didn’t even need gravy!

Exactly what I use my current fryer for! Never was able to quickly bring the beer to a boil in the house on the stove, but with this…wow!

Aluminum as a material is fine for brewing. The 15 minute shutoff on the unit can be disabled.

The weak points are going to be the size. 35 gallons will work for extract brewing fine. However when you get into all grain brewing it’s not going to be big enough. Additionally the style of the burner will mean that if you decide to upgrade you will have to also do the burner as well.

Also, don’t trust the thermometer. I ruined my first all grain batch by trusting the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer setup. Go to the brew shop and spend $6 on a good old-fashioned floating thermometer that will last a lifetime, provided you don’t drop it.

No matter what temperature a room is, it’s always “room temperature”. So, what if your room is, say, -20F?

i have a setup lik ethism but i have never fryed a turkey. instead, i have used mine for giant shrimp boils. the food, not the blemish. you need to purchase a basket, which are as expensive as the kettle and burner sometimes.

recipes abound online, and it’s as easy as boiling water. add ingredients at designated times (after 5 min add x, after 3 more add n). when it comes time to serve, just pull the basket out, dup on a table lined in butcher paper and serve with buns and sauces. it is always a huge hit.

if you have a neighborhood full of kids you could do a stone soup sorta thing.

It looks like a standard regulator would substitute for the one with the timer built in. I like everything except the 15 min auto shut off. So I think if the 15 min shut off annoys me I am $25 from fixed.

Now the big question. I have to buy a new turkey fryer for Thanksgiving. Will the Woot snails deliver this in time?

edit
Its $5 plus tax more at Lowes and that means I can eyeball the regulator and get it before Turkey Day. Not sure the $5+ price break is enough.

Shipping via FedEx ground. I’d bet money that this will make it in time for Thanksgiving but hopefully one of the mods will pop in to verify it.

Got one of these about a month ago. The unit I have does not have the 15 minute shut off feature. It has a 2 position switch instead. One setting that keeps the oil at 370 degrees F. and one manual setting that keeps the flame on until the tank runs out.
As for brewing beer I’ll be moving my first batch from secondary to bottles later today. It was just about the right size for a five gallon extract batch.

Works fine for all grain 5 gallon batches. Need to boil about 6-6.5 gallons. Just have to monitor closely to avoid boilovers at the start. Made over 30 AG batches with this