Philips 32” 720p LCD HDTV

They make very bad quality TV’s:

Expect this tv to work 3 years or less!!!

I bought one in a previous Woot and use it in my bedroom and it’s great.I think I paid $25 more. Very good deal.

…if only it were 1080p… :frowning:

Ha! Ha! I did, too, at first!!

I got the employee discount on a 15" off-brand color TV in 1978 and it was over $500 - PS…NO REMOTES BACK THEN… AND THE PICTURE ROLLED!

In our area, once I let the TV do the channel search, it found the HD channels automatically. Each of our local stations has 3 to 4 channels it broadcasts. If I normally watch channel 5, I watch channel 5-1 for HD. It comes right after 5 in scanning up or down or you can enter it on most remotes.

That’s my layman’s explanation. Someone probably has a more technical and accurate explanation.

Ugh, Phillips. It has a mixed record in terms of innovation and product design. For example, they were key in designing storage media, i.e. the compact cassette, CD, laserdisc and Blu-Ray. But their appliances are middling. And I absolutely hate their remote controls. That said, I swore that I’d never buy Philips A/V appliance if possible because of one reason. Philips designed a system that FORCES viewers to watch commercials, even on recorded media. No more fast forwarding! When news of the patent leaked out, and bad press followed, they gave one of the most mo.ronic explanations I have ever heard. They claimed that some people enjoy watching commercials and that their system ensures that those people can watch them. While the system was never implemented, as far as I know, it makes you wonder about the philosophy of the company.

Philips patent app would force you to watch commercials, both live and recorded

Philips Patents Way To Force TV Viewers To Watch Ads

Philips files for patent to force ad viewing

I’m not sure what you’re getting at with this. You can pretty much input your favorite brand into that site and get complaints.

Phillips is a pretty solid brand I’ve used them to varying degrees over my life and generally have a very positive impression of them. I will say their customer service/support is probably the best I’ve ever dealt with.

I bought a 52" Phillips from Woot back in the Summer of 2009…it was a refurb as well and the picture still looks amazing. No complaints here…I need one for my bedroom to replace my energy sucking 4:3 CRT Sony VEGA…In for 1.

Pretty decent deal, seen a lot better though. I will let this one past me by.

Hmmm… I got a Dynex 32" LCD (DX-32L220A12) from Best Buy for $229.99 a few days before Christmas. I returned it because its clear QAM (basic digital cable) tuner sucked (choppy audio, sometimes wouldn’t switch to an HD station when selected). I returned it and got a Sharp 32" LCD (LC-32SV29U) for $20 more. The Sharp’s picture quality kinda leaves something to be desired and it has fewer inputs than the Dynex.

So… should I return the Sharp and get this Philips? This Philips has all the inputs I would ever need or want in a smallish TV, including S-Video! I wonder if this Philips has better picture quality than the Dynex or the Sharp models mentioned above.

BUT… it’s a refurb and only $20 less than I gave for the brand new Sharp and not a Samsung, Panasonic, Sony or LG.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

You can watch 4x3 programming on 16x9 TV without distortion, but you will have a vertical bar on each side of the picture. Alternately, you can stretch the image on most TV-s horizontally (I don’t know about this one specifically) to fill the screen, but you will have slightly fat faces and people. After a while you won’t notice

My question is the refresh rate. Shouldn’t it be higher than 60Mhz on a quality set? I realize its a 720p and not a true 1080p, but my 32" 720p HD LCD in the living room has awesome video quality. We paid 329 for it 3 years ago at Walmart. Ill have to check the brand, but its a simular quality to this one.l

edit
The brand I have is Sanyo.

Mine was an Arah - Cee - Yay. 830 bucks when my monthly pay wasn’t near that. Paid it off, $31 a month to the local furniture store.

Well it’s actually 60hz, not 60mhz.

It refers to how fast the screen changes the image, in this case, 60 times per second. That’s faster than any of your old tube TV’s, and is plenty fast enough for the majority of the content you’ll be watching, as the majority of it is natively below 60hz anyway (often 24hz).

Higher refresh rates do offer an advantage, for example it’s needed for 3D content, and when the content being displayed allows it (or, as is the case most of the time, the TV’s electronics upsample the content), it can have a smoother image. But don’t buy into this idea that 60hz is somehow a low quality or ‘sup par’ number, that’s actually quite a standard number. A few high end sets (and admittedly more and more sets, but not in that price range) are hitting the 120hz+ mark, but 60 is plenty.

Wow, back in the good ol’ days before the big box stores, back when you could quickly go into a store, get what you need, and quickly get out without having to walk a mile to get to what you went there after.

Any of you guys get the Woot Daily Digest?

Just like the Woot monkeys I’m too excited to concentrate on everybody else!! Two things from where I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama made the news this past year - the devastating tornado and now NATIONAL CHAMPS, BABY!!! Whoo-hoo!!

(And I notice the monkeys didn’t say WHO the National Champions were - that’s so they could be in either corner. Way to hedge your bet there, Woot!)

Do these get super-hot like some other brands? I’ve wondered how much of a fire hazard they are.

uhuh… Do your homework.

Costco has several NEW 32’s, 2 year guarantee, $229-$269.

Sure, Philips is good, refurbs are “ok”, but somebody already returned this one once.

I bought one of these refurb units a couple of years ago for $100 more. It’s been a great TV. Hook it up with a Philips DVD player and it will automatically turn on the TV and switch to the correct HDMI connection and start the movie. Love it!