Philips 47” 1080p LCD HDTV

Many LCDs are used as computer monitors nowadays. So 1080p is a huge step up in desktop space in that regard.I don’t know that a 47 inch monitor would be good for neck-strain, however.

Samsung TVs are like the Cadillacs of the LCD world. I am willing to bet that their prices on their 32 inchers aren’t much lower than what you paid, currently. That being said, here’s an article that just came out about how TV prices are supposed to fall towards the holidays do to too much supply, too little demand. You’re welcome.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/lcd-glut-means-hdtv-prices-to-plummet-this-holiday-season/4081?tag=nl.e539

Average price for this tv is $1000-2000, this is a serious woot, glad i bought this before i checked the price cause i probably would have bought 2 for $500 a piece lol. Thats the same price i paid for my 32" i’m watching right now

But check the reviews on Amazon. One guy had big problems.

Most newer video cards, and motherboards have HDMI ports on them. If not they really should have DVI, and the DVI to HDMI adapters are almost free on sites like www.Merritline.com.

Same price here once you ship it. Hmmm…

Tech For Less

Different model #

Nice reviews at Walmart

Dammit, I missed your 1,000 mark! I hope it was good!

I bought this new from Walmart for $599 (free shipping) two months ago…it is a decent television for the money.

One warning- the stand that is shown is pictured backwards. The longer side is actually in the front which is a drag for those putting this television in an entertainment center as you have to put it further back than you would like to.

ZDnet review links

cnet

Consumer Reports

I almost peed a little when I saw this. Well done.

I bought this exact same model almost 4 years ago. It still has great color.
You do realize this model has been on the market 6 years.
Look on the Amazon link, where it says "Date first available on Amazon. September 14, 2004.
It’s a great TV. Of course it was close to $2000 when I bought it. So, if you’re wondering about durability, this things going on 5 years and hasn’t needed a service call in all the years I’ve owned it.

Most modern PCs / laptops have a DVI out, which uses the same signal (digital) as the HDMI interface. If you have DVI out on your video card, you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter for around $5 online and use that.

The cool thing about this is that most newer ATI cards (not sure about Nvidia) actually have on-board sound that can be output via the DVI -> HDMI connection, so all you need is an HDMI cable connected to your computer for both audio and video feed (this assuming that the ATI drivers work fine and your receiving device isn’t weird). It works on my ancient 32" Olevia, I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t on this set.

Something I missed in the description (it’s in the product detail) is the 60Hz, which is decent enough for most TV and movie viewing; if you plan to do a lot of gaming however, look around for a 120Hz LCD or LED-LCD set instead, there’s a visible difference between the two. Don’t bother with the 240Hz, it’s mainly just a marketing thing that has little to no real impact.

I just last week paid over 1500 for the 52 inch version of this TV and must say that i am completely and 100% THRILLED with the performance and video quality! I have been watching blu-rays and playing video games on this none stop since hooking it up! Everyone who has at least 3 rooms in their home (including bathroom) should buy 3!

1- like everything sold is 1080p at this point regardless of size.
2- contrast ratio has no standard but basically means do blacks look black. in this area lcd sucks plasma is good. new led tvs look just as good.
3- satellite is airing some shows in true 1080p and fiber (i.e FIOS) probably does too.

Well all LCD’s are you can still get a 720p Plasma. And yes there is not standard for contrast ratio, but in general a low contrast ratio means the blacks don’t look as dark as they should and the whites don’t look as white, which affects shadowing and lighting in images which is a big deal when it comes to realism. You know I have heard that same thing about Satellite airing 1080p and that’s is incredible, but it doesn’t matter too much since idk any companies that film in 1080p maybe 1080i. I guess Discovery might, I am not too sure.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here, ATSC broadcasts (think rabbit ears), cable broadcasts, and satellite broadcasts come in 480i (NTSC-SDTV), 480p(EDTV), 720p(HDTV), and 1080i(HDTV). Whatever panel you choose has a native resolution that generally falls into the 720p range (1280x720, 1366x768, etc) or 1080p range (1920x1080). Any content that is broadcast in 720p or 1080i is considered HD. Using film mode and proper de-interlacing, many 1080i broadcast shows can be displayed on your HDTV as full 1080p.

Further, contrast ratio has nothing to do with the screen resolution (720p vs. 1080p), and more to do with sub-pixel design, backlight technology, and other factors. Most advertised “Contrast Ratios” should be taken with a VERY LARGE grain of salt, as they do not represent real world viewing conditions, and are just marketing jargon.

You may also want to check out a wiki article on how interlaced signals are drawn. Interlaced means that every other line is broadcast in every other field. This means that every 1/59.94th of a second, you will either receive all the odd lines, or even lines of the image on the screen. Lines of video are always drawn from left to right, and top to bottom (some exceptions for MPEG encoded content). 1080i signals are definitely HD and are used by many major networks.

When a show presented in 1080i, the display will de-interlace the 60 fields a second into a 1080p (60 frames per second) signal to fill you 1080p display. This means that anything that is broadcast in 1080i will have to be downscaled to be displayed on a 720p set (meaning that you will lose information).

I am not trying to dog on you, I am just a Electrical Engineer who works in the pro A/V market (video scaler deign) and do not like to see any miss-information being propagated to my fellow Wooters :slight_smile:

How does this TV stack up to the 52 inch Sanyo LCD they had last week?

By the way guys, I love the QVC horse-guy reference. Way to go

These are garbage. They randomly turn off and on all on their own, they get a green line down the middle when watching high def. I bought one, and Philips wouldn’t honor the warranty because the TV still turned on and had a picture. Albeit not the picture I had paid for!