Shirt peeling?

Anyone have problems with shirts peeling? I bought the attached shirt on Woots birthday 17 cent shirt sale, and I worn it and washed maybe 4 times, but today while folding out of the dryer I noticed it a bit more “weathered” than the design already is… I can literally peel pieces off! This is the first Woot shirt of many that have done this… Anyone experience this?

FB_IMG_1627443553298

12 Likes

Yup. You’re not alone. Please let Customer Service know. I realise it was on sale, but they track these issues so it’s good to tell them. If you can upload a picture and share the link with them it helps.

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

13 Likes

Thank you for the direction, I will let them know! I mean, it was only a 17 cent shirt, but it’s SERENITY!! :laughing:

12 Likes

Yeah. I’ve had a few peel and it makes me sad, but CS always comes through. I hope the feedback will help them narrow down what causes it.

5 Likes

a league of their own wtf GIF by Sky

6 Likes

Well that was helpful. No conversation, no asking for pictures, just a refund of my 18 cents. Not enough to get a replacement, which I could have done if it was purchased at full price. SO, the coolness factor of getting a shirt for 18 cents is totally negated by getting just a refund without communication or any type of real customer service, not getting a choice of how it was handled, no offer of a replacement. So I now have a free peeling T-shirt. Happy 17th Birthday, Woot! Can’t wait to get something defective next year!

18 Likes

You got a free shirt. I didn’t get a shirt. Not even a blank one.

12 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen it on three shirts so far, all from this year. I don’t know what changed, but I’ve bought my last Woot shirt for a while.

11 Likes

It’s not about the shirt. It’s about the principal. Woot “solved” the problem from their point of view by doing the easiest (and cheapest) option - refunding the .18 cents. I was never contacted about the issue, or offered any options on how to handle the issue. I suppose at Woot! the dollar is King over satisfied customers. Until I can be verified that their printing problems are solved, I won’t be ordering any more shirts from Woot! (Trust me, there’s plenty of Firefly related shirts to drain a paycheck).

10 Likes

9 Likes

Hi there. Sorry for the frustration. We have a few new reps that are still learning the ropes. You should have an email and a replacement shirt on the way soonish.

13 Likes

Hey, can we get a real explanation on what changed in the printing process, how and when it’s being addressed, etc? I’ve been buying Woot shirts for close to a decade, but I’ve got zero confidence in the product right now.

12 Likes

Sorry but I don’t have that information.

:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Do you know who does? Until I know it’s been fixed I have to assume it hasn’t.

7 Likes

A few of mine are peeling REALLY badly…like unrecognizable/unwearable badly. Makes me sad because one of them is a tank top, which can’t easily be replaced (design is only available on T-shirts now)

Will post pics if I can remember later on

7 Likes

6 Likes

As a non-staffer but someone who does have knowledge about the imprint industry:

Shirt.woot’s printing process hasn’t changed since fully moving to DTG over 5 years ago. A pretreatment is sprayed onto the shirt blanks (via machine), which helps the ink bond to the fabric. After it prints, the shirt is ran through a tunnel dryer to cure the ink.

Alas, if the pretreatment was not applied evenly (a clogged sprayer) or it did not absorb all that well into the fabric (which mostly being cotton, can vary from batch to batch), it can yield a print with poorer durability. It’s not an aspect that’s readily visible during the printing and inspection – it’ll look fine, but ends up not holding up like it should.

Going by the hundreds I’ve purchased, I have to say the majority are fine. Yes, some do have wear here and there, but the last two I retired were due to holes in the shirt, not worn off print. The only aspect I do is flip them inside-out before going into the washer; my old shirts that were printed on American Apparel gets line dried; the rest go through the dryer.

Is there anything that could be changed? Not really; the other option, which would be to manually spray the pretreatment, is less consistent due to the human factor. The last time I had a horrible print was a few years ago when the ink wasn’t fully cured on the shirt before it got folded up and shipped off. It took a couple rounds with CS, but I got replacements.

16 Likes

I’ve gone beyond coincidence and I’m approaching a pattern. 3 shirts in a row that I’ve bought all have the same problem. Obviously I’m not the only one because I’m not the one who started this thread. Something has changed, a process, a supplier, SOMETHING.

6 Likes

Correct – it’s happened to others too, which I don’t deny – but as far as I can tell, there’s no change in process that’s causing such issues besides what I said that could be at fault.

I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you on multiple orders (which would rule out one machine affecting a batch). I’d feel frustrated in such an instance too, just as I was in the past when the blanks changed. In the old forums, there was a 62-page complaint discussion thread; I had posts on 59 of those pages.

9 Likes

It’s fustrating because there’s no predicting which ones will peel. I used to believe the heather ones were safe. Nope. I’ve got one of those peeling. I still buy the shirts but only when there’s a sale or its for my mom. It feels like there’s a 30% chance they’ll peel.

3 Likes