Singer 6160 Electronic Sewing Machine

Here are some pretty good reviews

[youtube=IWwmKFXUSDk][/youtube]

Two perfect reviews over at The O

Some additional info and great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) can be found over at singerco.com

Amazon reviews run all over the place.

Yah, we got one for us and one as a present. They both broke in about 9 months and repairing them was next to impossible.

Don’t get fooled by the name Singer. This is no longer a good brand, it seems. That is, at least for entry level machines.

Singers are not good sewing machines. Singer used to be a great machine (and if you find one from the 70’s that’s still working? Grab it!); but their quality is in the basement now. You’re better off looking for a different brand.

This isn’t bad for a second, back-up machine. Singer quality is awful but for the price and features, I’m getting one for that unfortunate time my main machine breaks down.

Those that have one…is this good enough to have when you need to do odds and ends sewing? I often times say…I’d fix that but…
I’d also love to learn to sew and want to start with small projects…
Thanks!

For the price, this is a pretty good starter machine. Make sure you read the manual (bobbin threading can be weird), and make sure you learn how to maintain it. Sewing machines can get fiber build-ups from the fabric and thread constantly moving through it. Buy some sewing machine oil (they carry it at most craft stores); the manual should give you an idea of where the oil needs to go.

There are a ton of sewing tutorials and simple projects online, and blogs all about learning to sew. Also libraries always have a lot of books on sewing and other crafts, check there too.

I learned on a Singer and have had three over the years, all older metal-bodied ones. They were great and if you knew how to use one you’d figure out the next pretty quickly. I don’t sew a lot anymore but do it for household and utility quite a bit, and vaguely hope to start making clothes again.

The last Singer I had was built into a table and that made it inconvenient to move, so I shopped around and got a Brother electronic which seems to be only a notch up from today’s deal featurewise but cost nearly twice as much (in 2011). It’s been a reliable machine but is not nearly as easy to work as the Singers IMO. It’s like having a capable assistant with whom you have a language barrier and thus can’t fully leverage his talents. And yes, I keep the manual next to the machine and read it, and I’m still flummoxed for anything past simple stitching. I may not be a genius but I do design and build databases, so I’m not exactly a chimp. Maybe I’m just having the experience someone might have if they only used Apple devices their whole life and then got a job in a Windows shop.

Singer may not be as durable as they used to be but if they’re still as straightforward to use as the older ones, this looks like it might be a great starter/light use machine.

If you can find one of the old metal Singer or Kenmore machines, snap it up - those things are workhorses, and you can’t kill them. These new ones aren’t worth it. If you want an inexpensive machine that will work, get a Janome or a Brother. You’ll pay a little more, but you’ll save yourself time, trouble, and repair costs.

Agreed on all counts. I had the opportunity to use an old Kenmore (likely from the late 70’s) and an industrial machine - yes, it was a pain to move, as it was built into a table, but man could that thing sew in a hurry!!

Unfortunately I can’t speak for current Singers, as I have a 10-ish year old Janome that works and a 12 year old Huskystar that I can’t seem to fix. And a White surger that won’t stay threaded.

Thanks…appreciate your response!! I think I’ll go for it. Funny my Grandmother was a seamstress and was known for her handbeading of wedding dresses in the NYC garment district. She made a lot of my clothes when I was a little girl. Me…barely sew a button…Sorry Nana!!

This is a great sewing machine. It was bought for me as a gift and I have had no issues with it.

As with all machines, upkeep is important. Maybe if people read the directions to their machines,they wouldn’t have issues with it.

Would this machine be good for hemming jeans? I have a short wife that can NEVER find jeans/pants in the length she needs. To make her life easier I said if I can find a good deal on a sewing machine I’ll teach myself to hem your pants.

Find an old metal-body machine at a yard sale. Motors and body are heavier, and for straight-stitching, those can’t be beat. I’d look for one made before the 1980s when Singer and others switched to plastic and lighter motors. A rolled jeans hem can burn out a motor quickly. You only need straight stitching, so don’t look for bells and whistles.

By the way, I am short, too (well under five feet) and have been doing this kind of thing since I was ten! A Home Ec degree taught me a few things, too.)

I was thinking about it for the same reason, but after reading the some Amazon reviews complaining that it has problems with thick fabrics it doesn’t look like as good of a deal for that purpose anymore.

From top review by usefulness:
#2)Machine does not handle thick fabrics at all.”

http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-6160-Computerized-Machine-Threader/dp/B006V7Q6BS

Too bad, this is the right price for me to try hemming my pants.

So, do sewing machines exist at this price point that can handle jeans?