11" Round Griddle

11" Round Griddle

Take an orbital sander and go from like 100-400+ I wet sand my cast iron to 2000 grit and things slide around like it’s an ice storm in Texas

1 Like

use it as a comal- or a tortilla cooker!

1 Like

CREPES!!!

4 Likes

I don’t know what this means. I don’t have a sander or wet sand. Is there an alternative?

My pan arrived and I’m excited to figure out how to season it because I want to make crepes, for the gram. (jk I’m not on the gram, I just want to eat crepes)

1 Like

I asked the same thing on another cast iron pan from the woot-off, someone sent me this link, seems like a good guide:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

1 Like

The point is to make the surface as smooth and perfect before seasoning. While polymerized oil will fill the small holes (lodge cast iron has large grains with giant pores but that’s for another time), we want to knock down the highs and lows. So even taking a sanding block and some 220 grit would probably improve it if the surface is rough. Sometimes they come out nice from the factory and you just need to season per the guide above or your favorite YouTube star (I like cowboy Kent’s videos on seasoning).

1 Like

Kent on seasoning: https://youtu.be/rRZMXZfcol8

Kent on lodge cast iron smoothing:

1 Like

@ThunderThighs - Were these Lodge pans factory seconds?

I ordered 2 different ones, and both have deep groves on the edge that look to be painted over, as well as bare spots of rust :pleading_face:

The second one is the 6.5" - Lodge 6.5 Inch Cast Iron Skillet, Extra Small

I’ve done this to a Lodge skillet, it takes a while to get it done right.
If a person is using this pan to grill sandwiches & quesadillas, or roast vegetables, the rough surface shouldn’t really matter.
As for all of my skillets, I purchase ‘vintage’ skillets at flea markets, antique stores or Goodwill.
The metal used in the 40-60’s was a much higher quality iron, the smooth surface is already done and they are thinner (but just as strong) resulting in a lighter pan.
For initial seasoning for a new pan, I use Flax seed oil in a very hot BBQ, three times. Daily use is to soak the pan in water right after using, let soak until done eating your meal, wipe out the food, rinse & wipe dry. Put on burner & dry it off, add a light coat of Crisco, let it get a bit hotter. Wipe out the excess. Store.

1 Like

I used to buy vintage cast pans, some had old nasty buildup on the side and outside. I would take the torch with the rosebud tip, get the pan red hot. Then all the old buildup would fall off, leaving a shiny new looking pan , when cooled. Reseason and good to go

2 Likes

I put the pan in a thick garbage sack.
Spray it with Easy-Off oven cleaner (the Heavy Duty one).
Wait a few days. Sit in sun to keep warm if possible.
Rinse it off.
I only had to repeat the process once for all my pans (I have quite a few).
Perfect clean pan with zero damage to the cast iron!
Season immediately. It’ll start to rust in a few minutes!

It’s nice to bring back an old Griswold or Wagner pan. The BSR pans are nice too but a heavier pan. My wife likes the lighter ones. There are so many nice ‘unmarked’ Wagner pans out there for cheap. Most of the unmarked ones were sold at Monkey Wards or Sears.

3 Likes

I have a few marked pig iron and one with a kangaroo on the bottom

2 Likes

Cool! I’ve never heard of a Kangaroo pan.

1 Like

Must be at my condo, all I have here is Wagner, and Wagner Ware- Sidney.
Was going to take pic

3 Likes

Did not know Griswall and other old cast iron pans were worth so much. Collector items now!

3 Likes

Mostly the labelled ones are jumping in price.

The last $4 pan from Goodwill I found was probably a year ago.
Some junk/antique stores can have a deal, but my collection is complete (except for one size pan, that elusive #4 skillet).

Don’t think I paid over $10 for anything. The unmarked Wagners are still about the only fairly good deals, though I prefer the nice labeled ones.
I’d sure rather an unmarked pan over anything you can buy ‘new’ now.

2 Likes

Never paid attention, just got to use. Will be looking now

1 Like

Probably half of my pans are un-labeled. Doesn’t matter much to me but I find another that seems nicer, I give the other one to friends.
As for that #4 skillet, it’s too small to be very useful but I don’t have one. lol
Buying one on Ebay would be like cheating. I like to just find them when least expected.

1 Like

I think I have seen the tiny one from time to time, looked useless so small that I never bothered. Will look from now on
It’s the one that looks like a toy? For like a child’s set?