Ask Woot! Anything: Software Engineers

600x250_blogpost

Welcome to our first in the “Ask Woot! Anything” series where we yank staffers from anonymity and put them in the forums with you to answer questions! Nothing is off limits! That doesn’t mean we’ll answer everything. A little bit of mystery is good in a relationship, right?

So gather up your questions. Warm up your typing hands. We’re ready for you! Well, we’ll be there anyway.

:spiral_calendar: Date: Friday, April 24

:clock2: Time: 2-3pm CT

:desktop_computer: Where: Right here in this thread

If you are Time Zone Challenged like me, here’s a handy dandy chart:

Zone Begin End
PT 12pm 1pm
MT 1pm 2pm
CT 2pm 3pm
ET 3pm 4pm

WHO?

Well, you! And these brave souls from Woot!:

@iamnero - Our new Chief Technology Officer. Be gentle.
@R0naIdRayGun - Software Manager - WEX
@DancingJohnnyWoot - Software Manager - SCARE
@mibeeler - Software Engineer Extraordinaire

See you then!

6 Likes

Hi, I’m John and I manage the SCARE software development team. My team is responsible for the retail catalog and couple of other use cases. We work closely with vendor managers in setting up offers and events! Glad to answer any questions that you might have about how we do things at Woot!

6 Likes

Hey there! I’m Nero, and I’m the new Woot CTO. It’s now my eighth week “here”. Weird thing, on my second week they asked me to “work from home” for the “indefinite” future… hmmmm…

I’ve been using Woot! for years, and of course jumped at the chance to take this role. I especially am excited to participate in this AWA with you all, and get to know ya’ll better over time. Since I’m so new, I’d disregard half my answers. You choose which the wrong half is!

7 Likes

Hello!

I am Pat, though online I am R0nald (this is due to a presidential themed gaming group I help run) and I have been at Woot for a few years now (the red stapler is still missing by the way). I have appeared on many of the Woot twitch streams, known lovingly as “glasses guy” or “sad guy.” I also have a long yellow dog named Neville.

My team builds/runs the front-end parts of Woot (web/app) as well as Shenanigans (Woot-Off, Digital Crap, Deal-O-Meter) most of which is serviced by the wonderful APIs the SCARE team provides us. I am super excited to answer your questions and take any heat you can provide for changing things.

6 Likes

Hi! I’m Michael and I’m a Software Development Engineer (SDE) for Woot. The teams I’ve been a part of handle orders, fulfillment, and accounts. I like thinking big, long walks on the beach, and trolling my teammates :smiley:

Ask me what you want, but I really like Magic the Gathering questions :smiley:

5 Likes

HI I’M DAVE AND I’M AN ALCOHOLIC

18 Likes

I’m ready, let’s do this thing!

Can I get a BOC???

5 Likes

Big Old Cuddles are not advised during a pandemic.

6 Likes

Fun fact, when you are hired at Woot, you get your last ever Bag of Crap.

4 Likes

Does that mean you love your job? :thinking:

Am I the only nerd Wooster here?

2 Likes

Noticed the Woot-Offs haven’t happened in a while - are they on hold during the pandemic?

2 Likes

How is Woot managing to get anything delivered…

You are not the only nerd here. I’m a pretty big nerd. I’m into magic the gathering, sci-fi / fantasy books, video games, etc.

1 Like

Have you ever gotten a BOC yourself?

Yeah, we’re holding off while we’re focusing more essential parts of the business.

3 Likes

Can I buy a BOC?

3 Likes