Derby #5 Theme: Light

Having spent some time in the competative 3-d modelling world, it is best that you do not divulge what you are working on until you are ready to get feedback or submit.

The allegations of copying and concept theft never ends.

I will say this, on more than one occasion I have been in competition with other 3-d designers and the more people that participate, the more often more than one person has the same idea. When the scope is narrowed in the competion (as in by giving a theme) the problem increases further.

The only resolutions I have seen have been:

1. pull both designs out of competition
  2. let the design that is voted on the most (presumably the best executed version will win)
  3. end competitions

I favor the 2 choice. There is a fourth way, but that requires time and investigations by the company that end up making the contest running not worth the companies time.

Dibs’ on idea’s doesn’t work in internet based contests. I would not be surprised if 3/4’s of the derby entrants don’t read the forum threads.

A lot of this may turn out to be a strategy game (ie, early submitters vs up to the wire submitters)

At least the voting requires a prior woot purchase, that should help keep the gaming of the system to a minimum.

I do think the active vote totals being shown is a bit sketchy, I still would like to be able to sort by votes, but would prefer it not to show vote totals until close.

I’m just happy the Korean peninsula will finally be reunified.

Dernit! I wanted BACON! Derby #6: BACON!

I applaud the woot staff for continuing to tweak the derby. Making the theme known 24 hrs before the site opens up submissions is a very smart thing to do. Hopefully this well allow some really nice designs to come out swinging.

oh boy… do I have ideas for this theme! be prepared wooters, the cho is back.

SCANDAL!

Just kidding. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with this week.

can’t wait to see them!

I call dibs on the sun and flashlights. :slight_smile:

P.S.
and fire too!

P.P.S. Just kidding

you have nothing compared to my idea which may or may not involve…

• 50 year old mature women
  • curly, ripply bacon
  • zombies
  • circuit boards
  • b.o.c.
  • the digestive “railroad” track
  • some yarn
  • a kelly green coffin
  • some candy corn

ha…hahah…BWAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

wait… lets talk about 50 year old mature women… we should share this

I’m expecting to see some great entries this week! Maybe we’ll see Fire Swallower make a return? :slight_smile: I imagine it should qualify for this week’s theme.

i’ve currently got three ideas. one i already did for something else few months ago, one I’ll be able to do tonight, and the third may get done on saturday morning.

this is the type of design I was thinking (t-qualizer shirt from thinkgeek.com) which includes 50 year old mature women :wink: you know, an animated shirt!

Excellent - I missed the vitriol directed at you this past week. Also, please enter many submissions so we can all choose/fight over which cho shirt wins this week. Yay.

So I guess the Cho Cho train is back in the derby.

You could do a 50 year old woman lighting a fart on fire to roast a wrinkly weenie!

whatever you enter this week cho, make sure some minute detail isn’t quite right, so we can all bicker about it.

:slight_smile:

50 bucks someone attempts to do the dark side of the moon cover!?

I like the changes to the derby. I think it is wise not to make too many changes at once. But I look forward to seeing what the hinted change to the voting will be.

Last week there was a rule added with the one week shirt color restrictions:
"No printing on the backs of shirts. Two-sided designs will be disqualified. "
Previously in the blogs I saw where it was a case by case basis. Is the one sided rule now permanent, or was it just for that week as well? If permanent, what about a design only on the back of the shirt?

Also could you make the info on the submission page always available instead of only when submissions are accepted? It seems that the important rules are getting scattered all over.

I thought about being sneaky and trying to ask directly but I want all to have a chance to use different design elements.

Thanks for all of the fun in these derbies.

Hey. I’m a 50 year old woman. Not sure if I qualify as “mature”. I made myself into a Simpson after all.