Derby Preview #769: Vintage Movie Posters

The theme is movies that never were - retro style! We want to see old school movie poster style artwork. For this one though, we suggest you might submit 2 mock-ups, and 2 different pieces of artwork - if you wish. Rectangular designs don’t look good on tees, so avoid hard edges, and no rectangular backgrounds please. However, if this design element would make your poster layout look so much better, feel free to include both on your derby entry mock-up. You can submit the tee art file with your derby entry, and your poster layout as a separate ‘regular submission’ style entry.

Poster sizes will be 12" x 16" & 16" x 20" so make sure your poster layout works on both sizes. We will handle sizing, but you might consider the border in your design so we can scale it well.

The OTHER cool thing we’re going to do this week is run the derby “Deal-O-Meter” style! If you are not familiar with this type of shenanigan by Woot!, it means, the more TOTAL votes we get in the derby, the cheaper those t-shirts will be when they go on sale! Meaning, you will be able to hawk MORE shirts and make more $$$ in the EC!

No politics, no cream shirts.

*This Derby begins MONDAY July 6th at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY July 13th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

1 Like

1 Like

Any guidance on how vintage it should look? I have a design idea that parodies an early 90s film poster style, but am unsure if that’s old enough to qualify :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I think if you are referencing a well know movie poster, it will probably fly. She hasn’t made a threatening decree of rejecting those that don’t fit perfectly, so my bet is that she will be lenient.
Press the style and you’ll be fine. The hardest part of the 90’s is that it pulled so much from the 80’s that it’s tricky to recognize it as having it’s own style. I guess a style started to develop around the grunge scene, but even that felt like a nod to the punk style from across the pond…

2 Likes

That’s old enough. I’d even take 2000’s.

2 Likes

You’re right, she’s pretty lenient when it comes to rejections with regards to being on theme as it’s so subjective. People have very different interpretations, which is why the derby is so great and we end up with such a wide variety of art! The intention is to make the content relevant to our customers, so the worst that will happen generally is it won’t get printed if it’s really not relevant.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to speak for you… I know it’s busy sometimes, and just wanted to help…

Can we reference real movies? Any restrictions?

Only all the same copyright/IP rules we usually follow. You can parody real movies definitely.

1 Like

I didn’t think you were speaking for me! But I was backing you up…I’m pretty lenient…its that Randy you have to worry about…

3 Likes

Wait, so is this a t-shirt derby or a poster derby? I’m legit confused. Or you just want to make sure the designs look good on both?

2 Likes

So, how movie-postery does it need to be? Is text required (or maybe just for the actual poster?) Can I do some current movie characters in a vintage, minimalist style, without text?

If you google “minimal movie posters”, you will see it’s a thing… I’d go for it! Minimalism in movie posters itself is a retro aesthetic, especially with a muted color palette.

1 Like

So I’ve been picking away at a design all week with no purpose; and then I checked the theme. It fits! lol, I love when that happens! Now I have the drive to get it done for Monday :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s both!

So we want you to design for tshirts, and you are welcome to make just one design that fits both, BUT you have the OPTION to submit a second piece of artwork that will work specifically for a poster if you want to say include a background or a border detail that won’t really work on a tee, but would make your poster look ace, you can sub a second layout and we will print the poster with that layout. Does that make sense?

1 Like