Derby Preview #789: Christmas 2020!

This is specific to what Christmas in 2020 will look like. Pop culture, the icing on the cake that has been this awesome year, and general Christmas cheer is all welcome!

A lot of no’s on this one:

• no dates, except when the year 2020 really makes the joke - but limit these. People won’t buy more than 1 Christmas 2020 shirt
  • no ugly sweaters
  • if you have a camel in your design you must have a lamb
  • if you have a person wearing a hat, they must NOT also be in boots, cause so many people had issues with this
  • if you have an ice skater in your design, it must also include a koala
  • no comic sans
  • no cream shirts - this one’s for you @krittikae
  • no politics, I mean, MAYBE a subtle reference, but keep it light, no overt politics that are one-sided and is going to cause the internet gremlins to lose their minds and me to lose my job
  • no hay, but straw is acceptable
  • if you sub a cat design, you must also sub a dog design

*This Derby begins MONDAY November 23rd at 8pm, CST. & ends MONDAY November 30th at 8pm, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Tuesday-Thursday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale on Friday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

Please be sure to have your artwork ready to submit with your entry as part of the new submission process!

If you want to submit any off-topic designs, submit here!

If you are new to the derby and want to participate, WELCOME! Also, in addition to the rules above please check out our content guidelines here so you know what works and what doesn’t over here at Woot!

You can also download updated templates for your artwork over here . Happy designing

2 Likes

Do the no’s work the other way?

For instance: If one subs a dog design, do they need to also sub a cat design? If they have a koala, do they also need to include an ice skater?

3 Likes

no they do not work the other way. so if you sub a dog design, you can just sub a dog design.

2 Likes

Is this still true if only the face is visible on the shirt? For instance, if an artist wanted to include a Santa wearing his trademark hat, does that mean all Santa depictions (or pop culture character dressed as Santa) have to include his feet?

Basically I am campaigning for a Santa hat and Elf hat exception :smiley:

1 Like

What is the visible difference between hay and straw? Is it loose (straw) vs. bales (hay)? Or something else?

Btw, this belongs back in the sarcasm derby… LOL

1 Like

I can make this exception.

1 Like

That is for you to decide.

LOL! Why must good things happen to bad shirt colors!

Dibs on an ice skating koala, btw.

1 Like

Wait…so is the exception ONLY for Santa and elves? What if we have other Christmas-themed ideas that involve people in headgear where their feet aren’t visible?

This is a good description of the difference. Straw is used for bedding and hay is food. If you want to know from a visual point straw is yellow or golden and hay is normally green. Either can be loose or baled but hay is normally baled.

1 Like

Thanks! I did end up doing a little research into it afterward (this is why I need to think BEFORE I speak-- or type…)-- I really appreciate the help for the >ahem-city-kid-ahem<. After reading the article, I think I’d fit well into that “weekend gardener” slot! Thanks again! :smile:

1 Like

Does this mean no submissions in ugly sweater (fake stitch) style, or that no ugly sweaters can be worn by characters on the shirt design?

1 Like

I have a design I subbed directly a few days ago, but it would make a great X-Mas 2020 shirt. Am I able to sub it in the derby? Never had that problem come up before.

both

1 Like

we prefer you don’t switch but it is an option, and everyone does it.

1 Like

yes the exception is only for santa and elves. I really didn’t think this rule was going to be the one that got everyone.

So, since he is technically a Charlie-In-A-Box, do I need to find a way to incorporate boots somehow? Not sure how I’d do that and still maintain the Misfits tshirt parody, but I don’t want to be rejected.

ugh fine you dont have to have the boots

2 Likes

fine you don’t have to have the boots