Kalorik Magic Bean 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Built-in Burr Grinder

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us - like su.sretoow, but backwards

Kalorik Magic Bean 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Built-in Burr Grinder [New] - $119.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Kalorik CCG-24104 Magic Bean 1350 Watt 10 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Burr Grinder

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-CCG-24104-1350-Watt-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B00190SAVG

Seriously Sellout.Woot? A built in burr grinder? That’s way high-end for a Woot site.

For anyone unacquainted, a burr grinder is considered superior to a blade grinder because it heats up less (resulting in less loss of flavor), grinds the coffee finer (resulting in MORE flavor/better taste). The grind is also more consistent which leads to more surface area, better distribution of water over grinds resulting in…well, you get the idea.

annnnd is also usually the price of this whole freakin’ deal soooo dammit do I wish I had the money to buy this thing…and the space for it.

Stupid apartment…

I have used two Cuisinart models for about 6 years now. A great way to make coffee, freshly ground beans. Both mine have worked well all this time, which is surprising considering the mechanics involved with this machine (I thought the blade grinder would go out, but it has not).

I have never heard of this brand. Will have to consider it as a backup to my Cuisinart, but need to research it and comments from those in the know will be appreciated.

Mine was about $150 back in the day that I thought was a lot for a coffee maker (even though it has the blade grinder). They are now about $190 for my Cuisinart (they have been upgraded obviously).

So this one must be good if it’s such a high price on Woot?

Kalorik started in Belgium, in 1930. This is WAY better than the equivalent Con(you out of every dollar)Air brands, like Cuisin(screw you over on every warranty issue until the warranty runs out)art.

2.3 stars average on Buzzillions.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/kalorik-10-cup-combination-thermal-coffee-maker-grinder-reviews

for some reason all of these all-in-one burr grinder/coffee-makers seem to have finicky grinder units

Mixed reviews on Amazon. Seems to be some design issues with the grinder chute. Some laude it’s solid build while others think it’s cheap. Go figure.

http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-CCG-24104-1350-Watt-Programmable-Coffeemaker/product-reviews/B00190SAVG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I don’t know about quality of this here coffee grinder/brewer, but a bur grinder makes a better grind, so if this thing’s bur is up to snuff, you’d probably be making the Cuisinart your backup. Jus’ saying.

Beware, I’ve read the cheapest ‘good’ grinder by itself costs around $200, but that article was written by a coffee snob, whose opinion I can’t dismiss.

I guess it all depends on how much of a coffee maniac you are. Most of the crap I drink is pretty watery and gross, but it works for me.

I’m starting to think that Buzzillions is made up of a bunch of honey-drunk bees that semi-randomly hit the vote button based on pretty colors rather than quality and function.

You may notice that Kalorik has gone “high fashion” style lately, so this is likely the reason they’re blowing these out. Same quality, less pizzazz.

Looked at the pics, this thing sure looks impressive. Makes mine look like something bought at a flea market from Chung Ho Cheapo. :frowning:

Notice that Square Trade warranty is $17 for three years. Might consider that if there is an issue with the grinder.

(I have used square trade on only one other item, a de-branded HP monitor. I usually don’t buy those warranties. But for $19 for two years I thought it was worth it for a monitor that might blow 90 days into ownership.)

Thoughts?

I am liking this machine, especially the burr grinder. It looks like something non-girlie men would own. My Cuisinart now looks like something a pantywaist would own.

hot cocoa compatible?

Kalorik CCG-24104 Operating Instructions (pdf) manual.

Reminds me of those TVs with built-in DVD players. The DVD player is invariably going to fail, requiring you to ship the whole thing to get it fixed.

Still I can see the appeal. That’s why they make superautomatics for espresso drinkers. But those break too.

The Kalorik competition includes Costco’s $100 Cuisinart® DCC-790PC 12-cup Grind & Brew™ with Burr Grinder Glass Carafe, Strength Selector, Grind Control, and Brew Pause™.

The User Guide makes no mention of an automatic shut-off feature… this presents a potentially significant FIRE HAZARD… even most cheapo brands employ “auto shut-off” for reasons of SAFETY. Sorry, Woot!, but I’ll pass on this one.

How would this do with tea leafs?

Can anyone draw a comparison to the Cuisinart DGB-600 in terms of daily cleanup required? Would love to replace my pita blade-grind coffee maker with this one, but I want a lower maintenance machine.

Also, how well does this one pour? Sounds like a silly question but DGB-600 owners know what I’m talking about.

Could be it doesn’t mention auto shut-off because it has a stainless carafe and therefore no heating plate. I have had the Cuisinart for since 2007 and have had no problems.