Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow Pellet Grill

Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow Pellet Grill

Who has one and why do I need this to be my first pellet smoker?

2 Likes

I dont know about this one and can’t find much info on it.
I do have a cabelas branded camp chef pellet smoker (got it for $300) . I use it weekly and have been for the past 2.5 years. Its amazing and would recommend a pellet smoker/grill to anyone who loves to Que. And a good quality Bluetooth thermometer!

1 Like

Thanks, I currently have an electric smoker that works great for me, I’ve been eyeing a pellet smoker for years though, probably still eyeing it after today too

I would stay away from this one as it seems to only have pre-sets and not a temperature dial or display

Manual indicates you set the temp and time on the digital controller. It also has an ash dump handle for the fire pit. Wish someone had one to review. https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/86d9644e-c2b5-46f2-ab3c-2136748b1706.pdf

I bought the smoke hollow last time they had them on woot and I still haven’t got mine to work. I have had a case open with them since March! I’d stay away. Smoke hollow is very poor quality and master built customer service suuuuucks!

3 Likes

For the same price you can get a Z Grills brand pellet grill or Pit Boss brand for $499 both are much more established brands that have good support

1 Like

I have a pit boss and it has.been through some hellish weather in last 2 years and still works amazing. Won’t go with any other brand besides pitboss now

2 Likes

You can convert your electric smoker (Bradley?) into a pellet smoker with an A-maze-n pellet tube. That’s what I did with mine a few years ago.

1 Like

Pellet smokers are the easy bake ovens of the bbq world. You won’t get the smoke of a traditional smoker and anyone going into purchasing should know that. They sure are convenient though.

3 Likes

Love my CampChef pellet smoker - totally disagree that you can’t get good smoke out of pellets.

3 Likes

So what’s the differences between a pellet smoker and an electric smoker (the kind that looks like a small 'fridge)?

>'Kat

I’ve smoked for many years - from modifying charcoal and gas grills, to a cheap barrel smoker, home made electric smokers & stick-burners, and kamados. Picked up a Pit Boss pellet grill last fall on a close out special and love it. I’ve heard the complaint that they don’t make as much smoke, mostly from people who’ve never used them and are parroting what they’ve heard. I haven’t had that problem - I’d suggest that if this is an issue, it’s with the individual smoker or the individual using it. In either case, one could use the pellet tube referenced above - cheap easy fix. The ‘easy bake oven’ is another disparaging remark made by folks who primarily haven’t used them. I guess if that makes you feel better about yourself. I haven’t found it easier than my kamados - those have truly been set it and forget it. I can go 10-12 hours on a kamado without touching it, my PitBoss will at least need pellets added in that time.

7 Likes

Everything I stated is fact, not opinion. Evidence of this shortcoming even come from reviews of true pellet units like Yoder & Blaz’n Grill Works, not just bottom units like Camp Chef, Z-grills, Pit Boss, etc. They’ll simply never equal smoke output of traditional smokers. It doesn’t matter how many cheater tubes you throw in there. For many people, that’s good enough.

1 Like

In an electric smoker most of the heat comes from an electric element and there’s usually another smaller element to burn wood chips (or bisquetes in the case of Bradley Smokers) for the smoke. Pellet grills have a small rod to ignite the pellets but once they’re lit all of the heat and smoke comes from the burning pellets. I find that my Camp Chef pellet grill produces a much less acrid smoke than my Bradley does which makes for better tasting barbeque.

1 Like

Cheat tubes, that’s cute. I’ve never had a smoker, from home-made to over $1k that I haven’t modified in some way. Sad to know I’m somehow ‘cheating.’ I guess using a Texas crutch is ‘cheating’ too, unless you’re in a KC BBQ-sanctioned event where nearly every winner does it.

And if your pellet smoker (or any smoker) doesn’t put out the volume of smoke desired, a tube most certainly can give you as much as you need. I’ve seen folks use these in competition (and win!) in Bradleys, pellet smokers, Weber kettles, and others. Nobody accused them of cheating.

Not sure what a ‘true pellet’ unit is, or how a Yoder is ‘true’ and a Camp Chef is somehow, by this reasoning, a ‘false’ pellet smoker. So, enlighten me, what exactly makes a Yoder a ‘true pellet smoker?’

If it’s another way to get people to enjoy making their own BBQ, I’m all for it. Frankly, I don’t care about the equipment was used to make it, it’s the final result. A good BBQ chef can make good BBQ on any kind of smoker.

4 Likes

@SylvreKat:
They’re both great ways to get started in BBQ! What Coogles shared sums it up nicely. It’s also important to note that a pellet smoker requires electricity to run the auger, fan, element, and thermostat. The pellet grill has more flexibility - for example, on mine, I can move the heat deflector and use it like a traditional grill. The electric box smokers are probably a little easier way to get started, but not significantly so. Grab one and get your 'Que on!

Lol. Christ, you’re soft. I take it you’ve never been to a cooks meeting before a competition. I’ve been competing for 30 years around the Midwest, primarily in the KC area. Competitors always grumble about pellet smokers and, occasionally, call it cheating. They get around the “no electricity” rule with the ignition rod. It’s been a sticking point since the beginning.

I was clear in my points, especially stating the convenience and that it’s good enough for many people. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Sure. All I know is with that Bottom feeder Camp Chef you disparage and that I own, my wife declares that my brisket and ribs are the best that she has ever eaten and trust me, me and the missus have gone to plenty of high falootin BBQ places in Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Florida and North Carolina, which we love doing. And yes, I have to agree with her. And smoke? I smell like smoke just walking by the damned thing. So let me ask, do you even know how to BBQ? You sound like a propane type of fellow.