NutriChef Immersion Circulator Cooker-You Pick

For Newbe-Sous-Vides like me, a good demonstration video from Tested.

I’d like to get this but the amazon reviews…29% 1 star

Got this the last time it was on woot. Use it once or twice a week with no issues for far. Even dropped it once. Controls aren’t as intuitive as they could be, but it cooks my steak how I like it.

That photo that shows the steak and asparagus in bags floating on top of the water is the WRONG way to cook using Sous Vide techniques. With all of the air out of the bag, which can be accomplished with either a vacuum sealer, or by mostly submerging the ziploc bag before sealing the bag shut (the pressure of the water drives the air out) is the way to do it.

Additionally, though the ad copy was mildly entertaining, as usual, there is no steam involved. Most meats are cooked in the 135-160 degree range, and vegetables in the 170-185 degree range. Nothing boils, nothing steams. Just cooking at it’s optimal temperature until it is done.

I can’t speak to this unit specifically, as I use a Sous Vide Supreme, but the cooking method is VERY forgiving and easy to use.

I can heartily recommend sous vide to anyone and everyone - when I bought mine I thought I would return it within a week, but instead wound up using it so much it broke down in six months! - and this is on the low end of prices for them.

Unfortuantely I can’t speak as to the quality of this unit as I’ve only owned a Nomiku and an Anova. However, it’s not a hard concept to execute engineering-wise, so it’s probably worth a go. That being said, you’ll likely find something similar on Amazon for a similar price eventually (sous vide immersion circulators usually range $100-$200 full price)

It looks like it has 4.4 stars with 56 reviews to me…

I got one of these a few months back here on Woot. Never did this type of cooking before but I found it to be very easy, very forgiving, and gives great results.

This particular model is 1200 watts - a lot more powerful than the typical ones you find on Amazon which are only 800 watts. The NutriChef will heat water quicker and maintain it much easier because of the extra power.

The controls are a little quirky but after you go through the process a few times it will sink in. Keep the water to the Max mark on the stem and it will run quietly.

Unlike contact heating (pan, grill, etc.) an immersion cooker will cook any meat you like the same degree of “done-ness” from edge to edge; all you will need to do is sear it after you take it out of the bag to give it a brown crust or grill marks as you prefer. I used it on a cheap piece of chuck roast my first time and not only did it come out delicious but the leftovers the next day were also amazing.

This cooker will not replace an oven, but it can be an excellent tool in your cooking arsenal to use when you want. At this price it is hard to go wrong.

Does the stainless steel cover come off for cleaning? If so, are the impeller and element also stainless?

I am thinking about getting one of these for a project that requires decent temperature control and resistance to chemicals.