Schug Carneros Estate 2007 Brut Rouge de Noirs Pinot Noir Sparkling Wine - 2 Pack

Schug Carneros Estate 2007 Brut Rouge de Noirs Pinot Noir Sparkling Wine - 2 Pack
$42.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Sparkling
PRODUCT: 2 2007 Rouge de Noirs Sparkling Pinot
CT link above

Winery website
Schug on Twitter
Schug on Facebook

Previous offers:
10/25/10
3/31/10
12/31/07

Rouge de noirs? So is this a Red! Sparkling wine? Or maybe red and black stripy?

Very interesting stats. Harvested pretty early as far as Brix, yet the TA is pretty low and the pH is fairly high. Very curious as to the why and how as the technical info on (white) sparklers like Iron Horse usually have much higher TA/lower pH.

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a gathering now …

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

Exactly how “rouge” is this? Is this a legitimate sparkling red wine (i.e., Lambrusco or something), or just a rose with an extra kick?

Or for a point of reference, how long are normal rose sparklers left on the skins (compared to the three days here)?

Ajh. You tried Domaine Chandon 's pinot noir (white) sparkler (methode champenoise)? Even the non-reserve one has great depth and grit from the PN. I’m wondering how this compares with Domaine Chandon too…

Just a reminder that Feb 20th is the Wine.Woot Party at Scott & Jana Harvey’s

Details have been updated on it.

I had a bottle of the 2006 for New Year’s Eve (it wasn’t my first bottle of the evening, so no notes), but I remember it being light and dry with just a hint of sweetness. I’m not a big sparkler guy, but I thought this was a fun change of pace for the few times a year I drink them.

Well, it’s definitely a light shade of red, and it’s definitely got lots of bubbles.

How long can this be kept in a fridge? Suggested temp ranges?

Well, to answer my own question, Robinson’s Oxford Companion informs us that most roses (with no apparent differentiation between sparkling and non-sparkling) are left on the skins for between 8-12 hours and a couple days, depending on the concentration of the grapes (so I would assume a Pinot Noir-based rose is typically somewhere in the 24-hour range). Still red wines, on the other hand, spend one to three weeks on the skins.

So is it safe to guess that the color of this stuff is probably somewhere close to the Iron Horse Rose de Pinot Noir (unfortunately I can’t find any data on the maceration time for it)?

http://www.ironhorsevineyards.com/wines/still/images/p_rose-de-pinot-noir.jpg

I don’t recall the red being anywhere as intense as that. It was more towards the pink side I think.

We have had one or two Italian red sparklers, and the color was closer to rose than red, but definitely darker than a rose. Really fun to try. Up until a couple years ago I didn’t know these existed!

If we didn’t have so much leftover bubbly from Dec 31, I would probably jump on this.

Can you ‘taste the skins’ as you can w some rosés or PN sparklers? Dark tanninny hints…?

Hi all, greetings from Schug Carneros Estate! It’s good to be back with another Woot offering. This time something very special for Valentine’s Day, a bubbly made from the grape we love, to share with the one you love!

This is not a “red wine” with bubbles. But it is red (actually a dark rose). It’s made just like a traditional sparkling wine or champagne, but we allow 3 days of skin contact through a cold soak to extract color, aromatics and more true varieta flavor (think raspberry, cranberry and strawberry). The cold soak doesn’t extract tannins or heavy body because it prevents fermentation until after the juice is drained off the skins (all free run, no press wine). Best of all, it’s not sweet like some “red sparkling” wines; only 0.5% sugar, but all the Pinot flavor hints at sweetness.

Kristine Schug, my wife and valentine (and our resident chef), will be chiming in with ways to pair this wine with food. I love it with sushi and chinese food! Look for her posts on Monday morning.

Axel Schug

You can taste the fruit, but there are no tannins. They’re not extracted because we use a cold soak, and no pressing. Just free run juice, which is fermented after it leaves the skins. This is what is called “saignee method” in Champagne. But it does have more body than a traditional bubbly because the fruit is more pronounced. See my other post for more details.

Axel Schug

Last time I had the Chandon it was definitely sweeter than ours. The Schug has only 0.5% RS, so it’s almost a “naturel”. No grit (no tannins), just pure fruit (and bubbles)!

Axel Schug

Alright, that certainly helps. Sounds like the “rouge de noir” label is a bit of a marketing liberty.

Another question - how long will this stuff keep? I had a rose sparkler (from a fairly well-regarded cremant house, at that) a couple weeks ago that had turned orange-ish and was rather bitter; it was clearly over the hill. It was non-vintage, though, so I don’t know how old it was, but I’d had it for barely four months or so. Roses are short-lived generally, and I suppose all the time spent getting its sparkles eats into its usable life. So what’s the story here?

Serve it fully chilled like any bubbly, and of course use a nice flute so you don’t lose the bubbles (ever try swirling a flute? I rest my case, can’t be done). You can store it in the fridge for a while, but no wine should stay there for too long (too low humidity).