In typical Woot! fashion, nothing is easy. You know those fun and whacky avatars that we love? And some of you have been seeing boring letters for your avatar in the forums? Like this boring avatar:
Well, it turns out that our super nifty avatars by Will Guy with over 70 quadrillion combinations weren’t created using a standard graphic format so they aren’t transferring over to our new forums. It’s going to be a while until we can get this fixed because, well… it’s a bigger job than we anticipated.
Good news though! We’ve figured out a rather clunky but doable workaround. So, if you want your Woot! avatar back, follow along.
If you’re comfortable monkeying around with graphic files, here’s the TL;DR version:
- Go to Your Account on Woot! and then click on Change Avatar. Select the Avatar you want and save it to your computer or device.
- Convert that image to a “real” PNG file using any graphics program and resave it to your computer
- Go to the Woot! Forums and then to your preferences. Change your Profile Picture and upload your saved avatar.
SIMPLE, right!?!?! Ok, then. For those of you that like step-by-step instructions, let’s get going. Luckily, you only have to do this once. And if you want to upload your own avatar, skip to the last step. J
Note: If you want to change your avatar to your own image, jump to Part 3.
These instructions are for laptop/desktop computers. If you’re on another device, the steps may vary.
Part 1: Getting Your Avatar
Go to www.woot.com and log in.
In the upper right corner hover over or tap on your Woot! username, choose Your Account from the menu.
On the left-side menu, choose Change Avatar .
You are given five avatars from which to choose. Click on the one you want.
Right-click on the large image of your avatar and choose “Save Image As”.
Choose a location on your computer where you can easily find the file and name it whatever you want.
Part 2: Converting Your Avatar
If you are comfortable using Paint or another basic graphic program that came with your computer, open your avatar in that program and resave it as a .png file. This will create a true PNG file.
You can also use image converter sites. For this, we’ll use https://www.fixpicture.org/
- Go to https://www.fixpicture.org/
- Click on the BROWSE button and locate your avatar on your computer.
- Click Convert. The page will refresh when complete and show you the avatar.
- Right-Click on the new avatar and choose “Save Image As”.
- Choose a location on your computer where you can easily find the file and name it whatever you want.
Part 3: Changing Your Profile Picture (Avatar)
- Go to the Woot! forums (forums.woot.com).
- In the upper right corner, click on your current avatar.
- Click on the cog ( ) to go to settings.
- On the next page, click on the Pencil button next to your avatar in the Profile Picture section:
- On the next screen, click on the Add a custom picture radio button and then click on the Upload Picture button.
- Navigate to where you stored your avatar and double-click on it.
- The avatar will be uploaded. Click on Save Changes to finish up.
Whew, you’re done!