Y. Rousseau Rosé of Tannat (6)

Y. Rousseau Rosé of Tannat 6-Pack
$69.99 $123.00 43% off List Price
2012 Rosé of Tannat, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

I’m intrigued…tell me more.

I wonder if this would pair well with pork roast and sweet potato fries? :slight_smile:

Mes amis,
I am very excited to share this wine with you! It is my latest baby.
My mission continues: put my home grape varieties on the map in the US.
Cheers,
Yannick

Who wouldn’t be intrigued?
2012 was a very generous vintage that allowed me to play around a little bit with my Tannat grapes; so I decided (from my “of the moment” intuition and South-Western french experience) to make a unique Rosé. This is not typical Rosé. What I mean is that this Rosé has a fruity complex nose but also a very good texture in the mouthfeel that makes it a wine that will stand up to more food courses.

I will be honest; I haven’t tried this particular pairing. How do you prepare and serve your pork roast?
If it is prepared and served without sweet marinate and/or sauces, the Rosé will be perfect because of its crisp texture.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Thank you for the response and your participation. I have a feeling that somebody out there has tried that pairing and will let us know how it was later today!

I grow (and sell) this grape in central Texas and love it, have made a fine rose’ out of it. This should be a great buy - price is right and the specs are good although a tad high in alcohol for me, but I doubt if you will get any burn from it. The claim that it is a "dry, low alcohol rose’ " is a bit misleading. 13.7% is about right for a red, not for a rose’ IMO.

This should pair really well with pork, chicken and fish, sweet tater fries. The acidity will help cut any fat in the fries…cleanse the palate.

I find the lead-in interesting: “One of a kind! First ever “Rosé of Tannat” made in the US.”

It is a popular grape varietal grown in central and high plains of Texas with a few wineries making a rose’ out of it.

http://txwfc.org/2013-featured-wines-by-varietal/

Wait, Texas is still part of the U.S.?

Would this be considered a very dry rose?

Back off, bub!

Unfortunately, yes.

Hah!

Well, the good news is I’ve tried it! The bad news is I didn’t try it with pork roast and sweet potato fries. :stuck_out_tongue:

Quick Summary: Very, very light wine. Pleasant strawberries, but not much else. Easy to drink, but mostly because it lacks a strong flavor profile.

Full Notes…

Background: Served straight out of the fridge on a sunny weekend afternoon, because I knew it would warm quickly in the sun. S.O. and I are pretty tough on Roses, so we tried to keep this as neutral and factual as possible. I do like to have a few Roses around, because sometimes it’s the right (and creative) food match.

Appearance – Lighter than other roses I’ve had. Softer pink…no purple hints.

Aroma
Me: Have to really stick my nose in the glass to notice the aroma, but once I do I get strawberries and cream. Very simple.

SO: Not much smell. I get red fruits and maybe something floral.

P-n-P Taste -
Me: It’s really easy to drink. Pretty simple flavor – just a hint of red fruit and maybe some very feint caramel way in the background. It’s not sweet, or bitter, or tart. It’s just easy and refreshing.

SO: Very light. Strawberries. Maybe a tiny bit of floral. Not much else there. For my palette, I miss the fact that there isn’t any tartness to the wine.

Various Foods –
It changed very little as the afternoon/evening progressed. As it warmed the flavors were a bit more prominent. Next to some mild cheese the strawberry came out a little more. We also had it with some grilled oysters and it didn’t really improve or take away…kind of a neutral pairing. I wouldn’t call this a food-friendly wine. I’d reach for it when I’m hot and want something refreshing, instead.

Next to Pearson Rose (2012)
I opened the Pearson Rose (Paso Robles) to have something that other wooters might recognize to compare it to. I did this less to copycat the recent cider tasters and more to, honestly, free up another bottle’s worth of space on my shelf. I didn’t really enjoy the Pearson purchase, so this let me clear one out.
The Pearson is much darker in color. The smell isn’t as shy, and it has some red fruit coupled with honeysuckle and pasture (i.e., wet hay smell, to me). The Pearson has more flavor, as it adds floral and honey notes to the strawberry so prevalent in rose, but those flavors really aren’t my cup of tea. I’d pick a bottle of the Y. Rousseau over it, just because the Rousseau strips out those less pleasant flavors.

Final Thoughts – This would be a great wine for a picnic, an afternoon at the pool, or a day at the beach. It’s hard to imagine who this wine could possibly offend, as it’s so mild in flavor. You will need to be careful and not drink it like water, despite the fact that compared to most wines…it tastes watered down. If you have a friend or family member that’s just trying to get used to wines…this is an easy gateway wine for them. If you really like the flavor of wine, however, the mildness might leave you a little disappointed.

I also want to put in a quick pitch here that I bought the Y. Rousseau Colombards a few weeks ago, mostly because of the winery participation on the forums. I’m really glad I did and have enjoyed them! While this rose isn’t a do-over for our family of palettes, I’m glad the winery’s offerings are around on woot!

I’ll be in Texas tomorrow. Actually my wife is Texan! Ooh!La!La! Southwestern french married with a texan woman….
I will search for Rosé of Tannat in Texas and try them if I find them.

Hi blipper67, where exactly do you grow Tannat in Texas? My wife is from Texas and I have to say, I would love to try Tannat from Texas.
I agree with you 13.7% might not be exactly low alcohol for a Rosé however, it’s a Rosé from Sonoma, CA and from the vintage 2012 which was a fairly hot and ripe vintage. In any case, it is all about the balance.
Are the Rosé of Tannat from Texas dry?

Hi there, Yes, this is a very dry Rosé.
There is no residual sugar in the wine which makes it a great food companion.

on behalf of the other 49, a most mutual feeling