Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. Farmhouse Cheese - 2 Pound Pack

I was really delighted to have been chosen again for Lab Rat duty, and this time for one of my favorite foods, cheese! This is a new cheese from Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company, especially well known for their Original Blue Cheese.

The quarter wheel (just over 2 Pounds) of Farmhouse Cheese arrived well-packed along with several mini-ice packs and it looked beautiful. In short order I served up some cheese along with Doctor Kracker Seedlander Flatbreads and a bottle of Ty Caton Racchus Red. The crackers’ crunchy texture and mild natural flavors accompanied the cheese beautifully. If I had known how great this cheese was going to be, I think I would have broken out one of my best Pinot Noirs that have been patiently waiting for the right occasion. No offense to Ty’s Racchus Red, which paired fine with the cheese, but I found myself imagining a fine Pinot Noir going splendidly with this cheese.

What can I say about this cheese? WOW, this cheese has it all… fabulous texture and flavor, and it is just gushing with quality. It is hand crafted and both Kosher and certified gluten free. The cow’s milk comes from a closed herd of Holstein cows that graze on local grasses all year long. Talk about happy cows! What cow wouldn’t be happy living at Point Reyes with spectacular vistas, lush ocean breezes, and munching on the certified organic green pastured hills overlooking Tomales Bay.

So, what can I say about this cheese? I am unfamiliar with the proper lexicon of cheese descriptors, but perhaps in a word… versatile. The cheese in neither hard nor soft, but just right, with a creamy texture. And likewise the flavor, perhaps akin to a cheddar, is neither too sharp nor too mild but just right, which may be why it seemed to pair well with anything I tried it with. For my second tasting I put a plate together which, in addition to the crackers, also included dates, almonds and strawberries, and the cheese accompanied them all very well. I did notice that I preferred thicker pieces of the cheese to the thin slices. Bottom line… seriously great stuff!

What? What can I? What can I say about this fantastic Cheese?

Put it on your steaks, on fruits, on vegetables, small craft warnings, send it overseas, put it on your surfboard so you won’t slip off. Put it on your pizza. Put it on your shoes and fill up your tires with it. Use it to clean your swimming pool, sell it to your mother and tell her it’s a tie-dye kit, you won’t even believe what’ll happen when you starch your shirt with it, ironing goes easier and your car windows never looked better. Ladies and gentlemen, you can inhale it, and it makes your voice three keys higher. Soak your shirts in it, soak your teeth in it. Let it play the piano. Follow it around the block. Wear it instead of jeans. Bathe your puppies with it. JUST BUY IT!

EDIT: I know that some may say cheese is not something to joke about, so I hope no one is offended by the irreverent final paragraph - modified from “Dental Hygiene Dilemma” - part of Frank Zappa’s movie “200 Motels” released 40 years ago.

Dad has smoked his taste buds to death. He loves cheese, the sharper the better ('cause… um, no taste buds.) Yes, no, maybe, anyone who has tasted this?

I’m going to guess that the gift blurb means it’ll get there by Father’s Day.

Yay, cheese! First time I’ve seen any here in quite a while… too bad I have no room in my budget.

Is it vegetarian?

Hey Wooters, so nice to be back with you! (It’s been awhile) – Point Reyes Farmstead here to answer all of your cheesy questions.

Is our Farmhouse Cheese Sharp? No, the cheese is mild and mellow . . .

Don’t freeze your cheese – but no fear, it will last beautifully in your fridge – but believe me, you’ll devour it well before the shelf-life expires.

BEER Question . . .Farmhouse Cheese loves to be paired with hoppy-style beers. Our fave is Lagunitas Brewing’s Hop Stoopid!

How is this shipped? No woot smartpost or other logo here.

We’re not just BLUE anymore!! Hey Point Reyes Blue fans, after 10 years we’re excited to offer non-blues, even some exclusively just for you!

Oh, they do. It’s just harder to find. If you’re ever in Point Reyes, you can often find it at the farmer’s market in Toby’s Feed Barn on Saturdays during the summer. Also check out Cowgirl Creamery while you’re there…

Farmouse Cheese is the perfect cheese for any time of the day, any meal, just about any application . . .
Cheesy eggs
Grilled Cheese
Burgers
Pizza & flatbread
Grated over salads
Drizzled with honey and paired with Marcona almonds
and
Snacking anytime!

What kinds of wines would one pair with the cheese?

The cheese looks/sounds terrific!

Is it shipped with dry ice in a styrofoam cooler? Because if not, most of the country is in a 90+ heatwave and meltage is sure to occur!

Farmhouse is shipped in an insulated box with frozen gel ice – AND it comes with a KILLER grilled cheese recipe. You’ll be psyched.

YES Veggies, Farmhouse is for YOU. No animals hurt or killed for this stuff!

Farmhouse is awesome with Sauv Blanc, Pinot Noir and is delicious with a dry Sparkling. Oh, and did I mention Scotch??? (Scotch Lovers, The Balvenie is a Point Reyes favorite!)

Don’t freeze your cheese!!! Cheese is very sad below 33 degrees . . . prefers a little warmer environment.

Any cheese that can make beer levitate MUST be awesome. I’m in and I’m not sharing this one!

Any way to know if this would arrive by Fathers’ Day?

Hmm, I see on the shipping page it says you have to be at least 21. Does this still apply for this item? Will they still make someone over 21 sign for the shipment?

Hi,
Shipped FedEx Ground or FedEx Smartpost???

No animal rennet in this cheese?

Rattage found this lovely offering to be a softish cheese (harder than brie, softer and moister than cheddar), supple and smooth and with some good oil to the touch. Ivory colored, it darkens to yellow brown at the edge. The aroma is buttery with hints of hay and herbs. It has a creamy texture, soft and smooth on the palate. A nice taste of salt begs for a beer, and the pleasant, slightly acidic tang becomes more earthy, almost mushroomy towards the very edge.

There was no indication on the package of how much this cheese weighed, and I didn’t know what two pounds looked like, but it was a very hefty, generous chunck of cheese, which was great because we had plenty to experiment with. There was a hint in the Rat email that we’d be receiving something that we might need wine and crackers for so we assumed cheese. With that in mind, I got up this morning and started a couple loaves of homemade bread. Fed-X had perfect timing, as I was just bringing the bread out of the oven when the cheese arrived. We had it for lunch with the warm bread and fruit. It goes nicely with Braeburn apples, a bit of tartness bringing out the flavor. The bread was a little too wheaty for my taste. So later in the day, we tried the cheese on water crackers, which went better. We popped a Côtes du Rhône in late afternoon, but it probably would have been better paired with a Pinot Noir.

As for beer, we had Fat Tire and Shock Top, both of which went well with the cheese. Mostly, though, we just kept coming back to the cheese, often eating it by itself, enjoying the subtle tang and the lingering finish.

This is a beautifully made, well balanced, mild to medium cheese with enough salt and acid zing to pair with tart fruits, light red wines, and pick-you-own beer. Invite some friends over to share this one, as there is plenty to go around.