Schwinn Miramar Men's Comfort Bike

This is essentially a Wal-Mart bike. If you don’t expect too much, it can be a really great thing. But you shouldn’t expect it to last very well with regular use.

How much assembly is required on this? Is it just pop on the wheels and go now?

Amazon, 3 reviews, 4.5 stars

Last thing I can do: Assembly looks more involved than that.
General manual from the manuals page,
http://www.schwinnbikes.com/support/owners-manuals
including assembly instructions for big store Schwinn bikes:
http://media.schwinnbikes.com/media/uploads/blog/files/schwinn-owners-manual_English_updated_Feb2011_web.pdf

$217.95 at VM innovations vs. $179.99 here

The frame, back wheel, and crank are together. You have to set up the front wheel, handle bar, shifters, and brakes. The brakes are a pain in the ass. You may need to pay a bike store $100 to get your brakes in order. Then you need a tune-up. Can run you $40-50 or you can do it yourself if you show what you’re doing.

I haven’t worked on bikes in awhile (nearly 30 years in the bike business), but it probably requires installation of the front wheel, pedals, seat, and handlebars. Plus some adjustment to the gears and brakes. That’s the bare minimum. A professional would also adjust bearings, stress relieve the wheel spokes and precision true the rims, and a few other things. If you took it to a bike shop to have them assemble it, figure $75-100…making this bike not a great deal. You’d be better off buying a bike from a bike shop, where they can guide you on what type of bike is right for you, and get you the proper sized bike.

Be Warned: Suspension 27.2-millimeter Alloy Seatpost!!!

I thought I would love love love a seatpost with suspension! When I finally found a bike shop with a seatpost the size I needed to trade-out the suspension one … the owner said EVERYONE thinks they will love a suspension post and they always come looking for a trade-out.

I could lock mine out a bit but not totally stiff… maybe a really expensive hundred dollar seatpost will be a great comfortable ride but in general these things really hurt your stuff!

Schwinn “Bike Sizing and Fit” page

Sizing help at Sports Authority

Weight?

Unless you know what you’re doing this bike will never feel right until a seasoned bike tech does the work , if you want to save money and live near a metro area look on Craigslist for someone who fixes or sets up bikes on the side , I have a local guy who does this type of work for $35-$50 and he’s a pro , like someone else said go to a bike shop , better bike better fit and Fall Winter means best sale price , I like Performance Bike they’re a nationwide chain , just my 2 cents.

So true , when I bought my Schwinn Voyageur GS in 2003 I traded out the seat on my comfort bike because my weight caused extreme pressure and discomfort , still have the bike today and have ridden it at least 1500 miles , minor maintenance every couple of years, broken spokes , wheel trueing, flats and adjustments.

The same components that go into lesser priced bikes are in the more expensive ones. Shimano is shimano albeit the shifting varies,ie trigger shifter, grip shifter, suicide shifter.

I have bikes from the 80’s of this nature that are still running like a trooper.

Bike knowledge and care for the equipment is key, take care of your bike and it will last forever…

These Schwinn bikes are made of high-tensile steel, no-name components, some duct tape, and a prayer these days. But, if you don’t already know this, my telling you probably won’t change your mind.

So, go ahead and buy this. Ride it for 2 months: hear the frame scream every time you make a turn, grind your gears with shifters that don’t really work, and try, just try, maintaining this thing that has been made to just outlast the store return policy. Then go to a local bike shop and buy a real bike.

Specs say ‘7-speeds’ but pretty sure it has 21 - 7 gears out back and 3 up on the front derailer.

This is overly harsh. I agree with others that the bike will need to be assembled and tuned by a competent mechanic, and that will cost $50-100. I bought a similar Schwinn bike from Target 4 years ago for about $200 and have ridden over 3,500 miles on it. Is it as light or fast as a $1,500-$2,500 Trek or Specialized road bike? Absolutely not. But it is not very different in frame or component from a Trek or Specialized hybrid bike that sells for over $500. If you intend to ride in triathlons or road races, this is definitely not the right choice. But if you want to ride for exercise or errands and plan to ride 30 miles or less at at time (I have ridden mine on 65 mile rides multiple times), it should be just fine. It will require annual maintenance, but so will that $2,500 road bike.

The truth is probably somewhere in between these two. This is not a high end bike, but it is a (moderate) step up from a huffy. If you are looking for a deal on a bike and you are in a metro area, do a CL search. The are gazillions of them for sale daily. As others have said, setting up this bike will be a chore or an expense. I’d bet you can find a nearly new, comparable (or better) bike off CL for less than this. Plus you can try before you buy. So much about getting a bike you will be happy to ride is getting one that feels and fits right. Trying it out first is pretty essential.

You are 100% correct in stating this bike is ‘step above Huffy’ (and the likes). Schwinn has been and is a cut above these discount store offerings like Huffy and it is reflected in price also. There are subtle differences that can’t be seen in the store but will with just a little age, within a year if not months. Quality of chrome for example, Schwinn will outrank Huffy and similar discount offerings. But, no matter what brand, leaving the bike to the elements will bring trouble.

However, I disagree that there would be ‘trouble’ with assembly and set up. Assembly should be possible by anyone that is moderately handy with tools. Set up is indeed a little trickier. Proper seat and handlebar placement is critical to comfort. Proper wheel alignment, break and gear adjustment is critical to safety and of course performance. Information can be found on line as to how to do this and may require a little more ability with tools. Lastly, CL would be a great start if looking for someone to do this for you at a reasonable price. However, these adjustments and others are something you need to know on any tier bike to keep it properly maintained and running. So, search this stuff and learn it if you are going to own a bike or if you are buying for your kids.

Back to overall quality, certainly Schwinn is no where close to the fine bicycles owned by enthusiasts and professionals and also comes no where close in price. If you are looking for that level in bikes, expect to pay in the area starting around $500 and moving into the thousands. Without prejudice to each, different tiers of bicycles are what they are. Same as cars on the road. One thing they all do have in common, skip the simple routine maintenance on your bike and it will develop problems. Schwinn properly cared for should give you many hours, days, months, and years of enjoyment. It all depends on what you really want, need, and want to spend. And that after all, is determined by the buyer.

This would be a great bike for local riding, campus commuting and the like - don’t let the fashionistas get to you.

The one thing that I’d do (other than having it set up by someone who knows what they’re doing as above) is to take off the rear derailleur (the Shimano TZ, worth $10 new). Give it to someone you really don’t like very much. Then spend maybe $20 - $30 on a moderately priced well-made Shimano to go in its place.

Why? It’s put together with rivets that will wear quickly and you’ll never get it to stay “in tune” and shift correctly and consistently. This, along with out-of-true wheels and general neglect, is one of the biggest reasons people think their bike is “bad” or “worn out”. In younger days I’d get these bikes for a song from their non-mechanic owners, fix them up and ride or resell them.

By contrast, my commuter “old bike” has a Shimano LX (admittedly higher end) that, with regular maintenance, has worked like a watch for the last 21 years without a problem.

I may just be missing it, but I don’t see anywhere where they list the frame size.